Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Notes say head isn't engaged- as far as i know midwife didn't even check.

(5 Posts)
Cookethenook Fri 03-May-13 09:40:21

Had a mw appointment last night and i've just had a look over my notes. In the 'relation to brim' section, she's written 'free', which as i understand it, means that the baby's head is not yet engaged. He's definitely head down though (thank goodness!).

Well, i'm not sure how she came to this conclusion, as not only did she not check the bottom of my bump (just the top and sides), but i can actually feel the baby's head about 2 inches into my vagina, squirming and wriggling around. Clearly i'm no expert on the matter (which is why i've come here!) but i don't understand how the head can get any lower than it currently is.

Perhaps i've misunderstood the meaning of 'engaged'?
I wondered perhaps if she'd just assumed that it wasn't engaged as this is my second baby?
Anyone know something about this?

TobyLerone Fri 03-May-13 09:54:57

How many weeks are you?

Also, it doesn't really matter AFAIK.

Cookethenook Fri 03-May-13 10:05:03

37- i'm just so uncomfortable- definite bowling ball between my legs feeling! If it's not engaged then i'm dreading whats to come!

JakeBullet Fri 03-May-13 10:13:00

As an exMW, I have to say that he sounds engaged to me. Are you waddling more? My DS never engaged and I never got that "waddle". A community midwife friend said after DS was born (by CS for failed induction) that she always knew I would end up with a CS as I never ever walked like a heavily pregnant woman!

I think from your description that your baby sounds like head engaged.

Reenypip Fri 03-May-13 16:56:28

With my first, I was engaged at 30 weeks and it felt like a huge ball constantly between my legs.
I'm 38 weeks now with my second and haven't experienced this at all yet.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now