Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

High glucose levels in Urine

(7 Posts)
Tinyflutterby Thu 02-May-13 15:11:22

Hi, I just had my booking appointment yesterday at 9 weeks and the urine test showed I had really high glucose levels. I'm now really worried and I phoned the clinic today to be told that they were really busy and I wouldn't be able to speak to anyone. I wanted to find out if I should alter my diet as I'm worried about gestational diabetes. Has this hapenned to anyone else?

BabyHMummy Thu 02-May-13 17:23:53

Had u had a lot of sugary drinks?

If you are worried i would cut down on sugary foods etc but speak to ur mw or Gp first

2Labradors Thu 02-May-13 17:36:13

Yep this happened to me on Tuesday at my booking in appointment, I'm 9 weeks too.

I can't really offer any advice but it has me worried too. I've got to get my wee sample checked again next week and if that shows glucose too then I have to go for a GTT which is the test for diabetes.

The only sugary thing I had eaten on Tuesday was Branston pickle on my ham sandwich. I have been really fancying it though and there was a lot on my sandwich but I have no idea if this could have been the cause? The midwife didn't think so.

What did the midwife suggest at your booking in?

A health care assistant at you GP practice would be able to dip stick a wee if you can't get a midwife to do it.

Let me know what's said when you do speak to someone x

FoofFighter Thu 02-May-13 17:39:42

My booking bloods came back with raised level.

I had eaten a large piece of cake at lunchtime and told the MW and she said it wouldn't matter but obviously it did hmm I had to go for a GTT at 11 weeks - and the hospital mw were horrid to me saying I shouldn't have been there and what did I think i was doing coming for a GTT so soon?! angry - anyway it came back normal.

Tinyflutterby Thu 02-May-13 21:03:09

I phoned the clinic today and they said they were too busy and I couldn't speak to a midwife, so thinking I may make an appointment to see my GP. I too had some cake before doing the urine sample so maybe that was why. They said I should have done a first morning urine, but as this was my first appointment I wouldn't have known that. I am unfortunately a chocaholic, but that's the only sugary thing I have as I only drink water. but I don't drink or smoke and figure I need something to enjoy!

BabyHMummy Thu 02-May-13 21:51:22

Chances are the cake elevated you sugar levels so i really wouldn't worry too much hun. Youbcan buy the test strips at most decent chemists so if ur really worried you could try doing one yourself maybe?

Otherwise take a first pee of the day to ur Gp appt and ask of they can do a gkucose dip for you

Hugs Xxx

Tinyflutterby Thu 02-May-13 22:53:47

Thanks everyone, think I will try to see my GP as she's pretty good at reassuring me. Just annoyed the more I think about the rudeness of the person who answered the phone at the clinic today saying they were too busy and could it not wait 'til my next appointment (6 weeks away). My dh angry about it and that I wasn't more assertive in asking someone to call me back when they were less busy. I just hate feeling like I'm bothering people with my trivial worries.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now