Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

When should you start pushing yourself to go into labour?

(17 Posts)
ButteryJam Thu 02-May-13 12:13:06

Hi,

Just wondering from when you'd recommend I start doing the things that may speed up me going into labour? (Like squatting, walking, curry, pineapple, raspberry tea, sex, etc)

Just reached 37 weeks but don't want to start too early in case the due date is wrong! hmm ...

Any advice/recommendations? Baby is 3/5 engaged.

Pascha Thu 02-May-13 12:16:14

Ha! Baby will come when its ready and anything you try before will do bugger all to bring on labour IMO. Some of it might make you feel better about it though so start when you like really.

Pootles2010 Thu 02-May-13 12:26:15

Sorry Pasha is right, it's a load of old nonsense.

birdbrain17 Thu 02-May-13 12:36:58

If you want to try anything start now, but baby will come when it's ready! I was 3/5 engaged at 37 weeks, tried everything on the list to get labour going naturally but ended up being induced (via a pessary) at 41+2. Even though I hadn't wanted to be induced by that stage I was just fed up of being pregnant and wanted to meet my baby...I had a very positive induction experience despite what everyone says smile
good luck hope your baby comes when you want it to, and that you get the labour you want! x

catlady1 Thu 02-May-13 12:37:42

I agree with the previous posters, I started doing some of the things you mentioned at around 36 weeks and my DD arrived at 41+6. That being said, exercise and sex wont hurt and might help you relax, sleep better, stay positive etc. Curry also wont hurt although you might want to avoid it if it tends to upset your stomach - if you do go into labour, the last thing you want is spicy diarrhoea! And the raspberry leaf tea isnt supposed to bring on labour, but help to tone the uterus and therefore speed it up. Might be a load of rubbish, but if you like the taste then certainly try it.

Don't bother with castor oil, it's gross, doesnt work and will make you ill. Nipple stimulation might be worth a try, I found it gave me lots of braxton-hicks so I suppose if you're almost there it could set you off! Good luck!

mrsminiverscharlady Thu 02-May-13 12:40:48

Waste of time. Personally I found reconciling myself to the fact that the baby would arrive when ready made the last few weeks bearable.

ouryve Thu 02-May-13 12:41:15

You don't. Especially not at 37 weeks.

MissLurkalot Thu 02-May-13 12:41:37

You're classed as full term now, as in, if baby arrives now, he or she won't be classed as premature.
I'm 37 weeks too with dc4.. and I know how you feel.. But, I honestly can't be bothered to try anything. Too much effort, lol!
You go and try them all if you like, it's safe to.

Fakebook Thu 02-May-13 12:49:59

With dc1 I didn't do anything to push labour to start and I ended up being induced, which was horrible. With dc2 I started doing things that may push labour to start at 36 weeks. I was adamant I wasn't going to go overdue again. I did all the things they tell you to do and I went into labour on my edd. Don't know if it was luck or something that worked, but I was happy I didn't go overdue!

CinnabarRed Thu 02-May-13 12:52:33

I've been told by an obgynae consultant that it's all a load of old hogwash, with the exception of sex.

Apparently semen contains the same hormone as is used in induction.

rrreow Thu 02-May-13 12:55:29

Raspberry leaf tea is said to tone the uterus and can make labour shorter. It doesn't bring on labour. So you can definitely start taking it if you'd like to.

TryDrawing Thu 02-May-13 13:12:03

Yes, I started to do all of those things at 37 weeks because I was so sick of being hugely pregnant. 5 weeks later, after I was induced, dd finally showed up smile

But (and I know this is easy for me to say) try not to focus on it too much or worry. The best thing you can do for yourself really is to look after yourself and try to relax. You are more likely to go in to labour when you're feeling safe and relaxed.

mummybare Thu 02-May-13 13:16:22

Whenever you like! I ate mountains of curry and pineapple, drank gallons of raspberry leaf tea, did yoga, walked, bounced on a ball... I even had sex, for crying out loud! DD arrived two weeks overdue when she was good and ready!

Good luck with everything smile

eltsihT Thu 02-May-13 13:22:01

I agree with all the above, try what ever you want, but baby come when they are ready or you have them evicted. I am due in 12 days but am focussing on the fact in 22 days I won't be pregnant anymore. I had my son at 42wks, he was induced.

I think being relaxed about it helps as I stressed a lot last pregnancy and wonder if trying to get the baby to come actually slowed everything down, as I had quite a few false starts and was 2 cm dilated by 40 wks

seriouscakeeater Thu 02-May-13 13:24:37

I'm currently 39 +3 weeks and bouncing away on a ball, can feel strange goings on, pressure , bit of cramping and back ache. I shall bounce her now till she comes!!

Good luck!

Shellywelly1973 Thu 02-May-13 13:25:14

Nothing to add, the previous posts have said it all!

RELAX & makes the most of the last few weeks of your pregnancy.

mummybare Thu 02-May-13 13:52:37

Oooh, serious, sounds promising! Good luck to you too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now