Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Suddenly really paranoid and anxious

(13 Posts)
cogitosum Thu 02-May-13 02:43:19

Just coming up to 30 weeks. I have gone through periods throughout of anxiety but thought it would have abated by now but it's worse than ever today.

I have just spent ages looking up stats on still birth and can't get the thoughts from my head. Baby's moving quite a lot but I'm paranoid it's hiccups not proper movement and that got me worried about cord compression.

I don't know how much anxiety is normal but this is unbearable. I'm worried to tell my midwife incase something does happen and they don't take me seriously because they think it's just anxiety!

NatashaBee Thu 02-May-13 03:44:35

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

cogitosum Thu 02-May-13 08:29:55

Thank you. I do like her but haven't got an appointment for 2 weeks. I just get really worried about being written off as a time waster. I have previous experience of this with drs. Maybe I'll call...

Dolallytats Thu 02-May-13 08:35:23

I know this probably won't help, but I feel similar. I am 28+3 and this pregnancy hasn't sunk in yet. I keep thinking that because I can't imagine having a DC3, this means something will happen to her. I have to keep telling myself not to be so silly. I try and put it down to the fact that I do suffer with quite severe anxiety anyway (am agoraphobic).

Talk to your midwife and stop Googling. Google never puts anyone's mind at rest, it always makes it worse.

cogitosum Thu 02-May-13 09:18:04

Did you have the anxiety with DCs 1 and 2 Dolallytats?

I think I will ring midwife. I actually think i have genuine cause for concern this morning as I haven't felt him apart from hiccups first thing and a little bit on the train that may have been hiccups. I was up all night though so don't know if that's why.

I didn't mean to google.. i had my whooping cough vaccine yesterday and quickly googled to see if i could go swimming straight after and the first link on google was to a really sad netmums chat about stillbirth sad

Dolallytats Thu 02-May-13 09:43:39

No anxiety with 1. With no 2 I did, I had been getting panic attacks for a while by then. Also no 2 pregnancy was high risk which added to the anxiety.

However, if you have not felt him as you normally would, call the midwife. I think it's better to put your mind at ease.

That's another thing about Google, isn't it? It puts up links that aren't always what you are looking for and make you worry more sad.

I have read on here that cold drinks and laying down on your side for a while can encourage baby to move if they are having a lazy day, but I'd still call the midwife if I were you.

Hope you are both ok x

cogitosum Thu 02-May-13 10:25:43

he's moving quite a lot now so i think maybe he was just tired this morning first thing! Wouldn't be able to lie on my side anyhow as I'm at work but the cold drink did help...

I think I'll call the midwife anyway. Thank you x

maryann970 Thu 02-May-13 13:45:40

I had the same thing around 32 weeks. Kept thinking it wasn't moving and because I was so tense I couldn't relax enough to focus on the movements. I called mw and they put me on a monitor. I felt silly as as soon as I got to hospital I could feeling it having a party in my belly! Mw was awesome though. She said its not silly at all and if you think it is moving less call them straight away. Better safe than sorry!!!! Glad you have movements now xxx

Dolallytats Thu 02-May-13 14:28:36

Glad he is moving more now. You think the worry will start after they're born....and instead they scare you right from the start!!

cogitosum Thu 02-May-13 15:47:20

I'm on my way to hospital. I phoned midwife who said better safe than sorry as the movements have changed (ie they're much fainter than previous days). I'm sure it's all fine and feel a bit silly but they were very nice about it.

Does anyone know if it's fairly common for people to go in and get monitored for this? I've seen it a few times on here but don't know how reflective that is of real life

maryann970 Thu 02-May-13 18:08:16

Glad to hear it smile you're not silly, your sensible! They made it feel like an everyday thing when I went in and there were other women there xx

cogitosum Thu 02-May-13 21:38:44

It was all good and they were lovely! As soon as i got there he started moving loads! They even said afterwards to make sure I come back if i feel worried again.
Thank you

Quodlibet Fri 03-May-13 07:00:03

Cogito (and others who get anxious) there is a fantastic book called The Worry Cure by Robert Leahy which is worth a read if you are prone to worrying.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now