Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

how much of pregnancy weight gain is baby?

(14 Posts)
ditsydoll Wed 01-May-13 22:06:12

In total? Including placenta, extra blood, waters et ?
I have put on quite abit with this pregnancy but I'm not worried, I'm still within a healthy range so trying not to panick. I'm 37 weeks.

5madthings Wed 01-May-13 22:09:05

Depends on how big baby is!

Average is 7lb 8oz, none of mine were that small.

Placenta is couple of pounds, dot to amniotic fluid.

Boobs can increase by a pound or two.

Plus you have extra blood volume as well.

5madthings Wed 01-May-13 22:11:41

Average of 7lb 8oz is ave birth weight of baby.

So 7lb 8oz

Plus 2lb placenta
2lb fluid
1-2lb boobs.
Plus extra blood volume

And you will lay down some fat stores.

I gained between one to two stone in all ,my pregnancies. My babies were bigger than average and I had big placenta's each time and massive boobs!

ditsydoll Wed 01-May-13 22:28:58

My daughter was 8lb 5 and they have said this feels like a big baby. Hoping it's note huge though! Lol

5madthings Wed 01-May-13 22:30:43

My first was 8lb 7oz

Ds2 was 9lb 3oz, ds3 was 9lb 5oz, ds4 was 10lb 13oz and dd was a weeny 8lb smile

Flojobunny Wed 01-May-13 22:31:03

I put on 4 stone with mine.10 lb babies and lost 2 stone in childbirth, took considerably longer to lose the other 2! ...though breast feeding and running round after baby helps grin

beckie90 Wed 01-May-13 22:47:20

First preg I gained 4st, baby was 6ib 8. It did come off quickly though.

Second pregnancy I put on around 3/4 pounds from pre preg weight cause I did loose 1.5st in early preg. He was 9ib.

Currently 25+4 with ds3 and guestimating I've put on a stone so far, maybe a little more.

Rockchick1984 Thu 02-May-13 09:27:28

After having DS I lost a stone immediately from giving birth, then another stone dropped off within a few weeks so I see that as the baby weight still. The other 3 stone blush took a lot of effort to shift so I think that was all just actual fat and weight gain, nothing to do with having a baby!

Teaandflapjacks Thu 02-May-13 11:29:36

I use this as my guide:-

www.babycentre.co.uk/a554810/weight-gain-in-pregnancy

Here are some averages to give you an idea of how much they weigh:
At birth, a baby weighs about 3.3kg (7.3lb).
The placenta, which keeps your baby nourished, weighs 0.7kg (1.5lb).
The amniotic fluid, which supports and cushions your baby, weighs 0.8kg (1.8lb).
But what about the other two thirds of extra weight? These can be accounted for by the changes that happen to your body while you're pregnant. Again, the figures are averages:
The muscle layer of your uterus (womb) grows dramatically and weighs an extra 0.9kg (2lb).
Your blood volume increases and weighs an extra 1.2kg (2.6lb).
You have extra fluid in your body weighing about 1.2kg (2.6lb).
Your breasts weigh an extra 0.4kg (0.9lb).
You'll store fat, about 4kg (8.8lb), to give you energy for breastfeeding.
By the end of pregnancy you may weigh about 12.5kg (27.6lb) more than you did before you became pregnant. Remember that this is only an average weight gain. Let our pregnancy weight gain estimator work out your figures for you.

www.babycentre.co.uk/a554810/weight-gain-in-pregnancy#ixzz2S86wFjyr

Beatrixpotty Thu 02-May-13 11:40:15

I put on about 2.5 stone with each pregnancy.Babies were 7 lb 13,8lb 2 and 8lb 12.lost most of it by 6 weeks but clung on to the last 1/2 stone until stopped breastfeeding.

Snowflakepie Thu 02-May-13 11:58:57

Like the pp, I gained about 2.5 stone overall. DD was 7lbs1oz. I had a huge amount of retained water and peed for Britain for a week after, at which point I had lost 1.5 stone. Another half stone went over about 6 weeks, then the last half stone took a while but then back to normal. This pg has so far followed a similar pattern although I gained weight sooner, then levelled out, and am now gaining about a pound a week (33 weeks). If that stays the same I will have gained 2.5 stone again. I have been told this baby seems a little bigger compared to scan notes from DD, but I am also not yet retaining so much water on hands and feet. But everyone is different, babies can be far from average, some people have more or less water etc. I think I read somewhere that around 2.5 stone is average but I know my seriously obese SIL gained about 7 lbs in total and a very slim friend gained almost 4 stone, but then lost it quite easily.

badguider Thu 02-May-13 12:01:46

This is from my book (written by a consultant obs from UCL) and is all 'average':

Larger breasts 1lb
Larger uterus 2lbs
Baby 7-9lbs
placenta 1.5lbs
amniotic fluid 2lbs
maternal fat 5.5lbs
increased blood 3lbs
water retention 5.5lbs

ditsydoll Thu 02-May-13 12:21:40

Thanks everyone, I was just interested as to see if I have put on a normal amount. I'm not too worried about losing all the weight but it would be helpful to get back into Atleast some of my pre pregnancy wardrobe so I dont have to buy all new things. I look so puffy today in the warmer weather... Hopefully it's water/swelling! Lol

isambardo Thu 02-May-13 14:24:18

I lost 12lbs giving birth, baby was just over 6lbs. I didn't really notice having much water retention but within a few days my jeans and boots fitted much looser on my legs so I must have been retaining quite a bit!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now