Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

swimming in pregnancy

(15 Posts)
onceipopicantstop Wed 01-May-13 19:09:20

Hi I'm not pregnant yet, just ttc! But I really enjoy swimming and I'm keen to keep it up during pregnancy. But I swim quite hard, getting breathless - is this ok in pregnancy? And what about tumble turns - will the baby just get all tangled up?!

Essexgirlupnorth Wed 01-May-13 19:15:21

Asked my midwife at my booking appointment as was a regular swimming and she said great carry on. Fairly slow anyway so just take it gently and can't do tumble turns so don't know about that.
Think the advice for exercise in pregnancy to still be able to hold a conversation while doing it. Baby is floating in its own pool so don't think it would get tangled up.

GettingObsessive Wed 01-May-13 19:17:50

Until you find that you physically can't anymore, anything that you were doing before pregnancy is fine during - providing you're not also bungy jumping wink

Swimming in particular is great because our weight is supported and I should be doing much more of it

babyradio Wed 01-May-13 19:39:12

I swim once a week, try to take it easier than I normally would but I'm 35 weeks now.

You're unlikely to hurt yourself but just listen to your body I guess. I find it relieves my back pain quite nicely and it's also nice to feel light again for a little bit!

MrsJ12 Wed 01-May-13 19:40:56

I was told by midwife it was fine to keep exercising just not to get breathless. Personally I found it difficult to go to the gym and not push myself so stopped at around 5mths.

I have however carried on swimming, i've found I've naturally had to slow it down as I've got bigger and I'm not going as regularly. But still going now and was swimming this morning at 38+4

Alanna1 Wed 01-May-13 19:49:05

Once you're pregnant you can discuss with your midwife - or a woman's health physio. I swim fast and usually about 3 times a week. I found that I naturally slowed down as my pregnancy progressed (as your lung capacity decreases as baby forces your ribcage up). I moved from fast to medium to slow lane by week 40! Also, you must not hold your breath, ever - so blowing bubbles etc when swim. I stopped doing tumble turns as I found it awkward with a bump. Just don't do breast-stroke legs!

Alexandra6 Wed 01-May-13 20:26:43

I'm planning to swim on a holiday when I'm about 18 weeks and was wondering the same thing! I can only really do breast stroke so was worried about the movement of kicking out my legs in that shape and whether that might open up my cervix if it's weak? Does anyone know?

onceipopicantstop Wed 01-May-13 21:01:01

Why no holding breath or breaststroke legs??

Beatrixpotty Wed 01-May-13 21:05:52

I swam throughout all 3 pregnancies,1-1.5k quite fast 3x a week and stopped doing tumble turns at about 32 weeks when bump was just too big.

5madthings Wed 01-May-13 21:06:55

Its fine and its good to continue if you are a regular swimmer.

I swim distance, 80 lengths breast stroke with tumble turns and carried on in my pregnancies. I stopped doing tumble turns when I got too big but carried in swimming and its fine to get a bit short of breath etc.

The concern is taking up new exercise but if its a routine you normally do then moderate exercise is fine smile

ninja Wed 01-May-13 21:07:16

I think it's just breast stroke legs at the end of pregnancy.

5madthings Wed 01-May-13 21:09:33

Breast stroke
legs are fine unless you have pelvic problems, I actually had SPD but could still do breast stroke. For some people out can be uncomfortable, and of it is then your body is telling you to rest.

5madthings Wed 01-May-13 21:11:01

www.babycenter.com/0_great-pregnancy-exercise-swimming_7822.bc

Here you go, swimming is recomemded I pregnancy as is breast stroke smile

Foundapound Wed 01-May-13 21:11:29

I continued 1-2K swimming sessions all through pregnancy, including tumble turns right up till early labour in pg1. It used to put the babies to sleep for a bit after!

dizzy77 Wed 01-May-13 21:15:15

I swam hard thought my first pg and the advice was keep doing it if you're used to it but don't start anything new. I tumble turned till I couldn't go it any more (20ish weeks) and found I naturally slowed/became breathless more easily. Listen to your body: avoid overheating and take the rest you need. I found a US resource, Fit Pregnancy, online and really appreciated their approach.

I stopped at 21wks this time for a number of reasons/risk issues mostly because I didn't trust myself to not "compete". Now 35 wks and desperate to get back in the pool! I may just do that next week.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: