Talk

Advanced search

23wks - how tired is normal?

(10 Posts)
knittingirl Tue 30-Apr-13 15:41:55

I'm just shattered and feel run down. How tired is normal at 23wks? I had good iron levels at my 16 week bloods and the mw didn't think I was likely to have an anaemia problem from that, but I was wondering if it was worth getting tested again. I've got an appt in two weeks where they're going to do more bloods anyway, but was just debating whether it's worth trying to get it done earlier, or if this is just normal!

maryann970 Tue 30-Apr-13 16:02:11

I had had good iron levels at start then they had dropped dramatically by third trimester. I took iron tablets and my levels are back up again now (39 weeks)" Go to your gp if you are worried or call the midwife smile I'm sure they will do your bloods. Could be something other than iron so if you feel totally out of wack it is worth speaking with the professionals xx

Teaandflapjacks Tue 30-Apr-13 16:09:16

I have had anaemia throughout - and before - take supplements, barely touches it. I have had terrible morning sickness too, which I am sure had really hindered it - and I can't stomach any meat. Get some supplements though anyway, TBH it can't hurt, and check with pharmacist which ones, and then make them test you too. Take them WITH vitamin c . such as OJ - to aid absorption. I turned a corner a bit at 24- 25 weeks though and so less tired, but still have days where I feel like death warmed up. Some people just do - take care of yourself and rest when you can and need to - do not feel guilty about it. smile

Teaandflapjacks Tue 30-Apr-13 16:09:52

p.s. your body makes a third more blood in pg, baby take what they need first and you get left with whats over - so it kind of makes sense.

afrikat Tue 30-Apr-13 16:13:52

I am nearly 20 weeks and still utterly exhausted. Iron fine, I am just constantly shattered! After asking on the forums and doing a bit of research it seems that some people just don't get that 2nd trimester boost of energy. I am trying to rest when I can and have stopped pressuring myself to do too much. Doesn't really help get me through the day at work but I now go home and nap straight away rather than trying to meet people or go to the gym, which I thought I would be able to do by now. Fed up!

cupcake78 Tue 30-Apr-13 17:33:20

I have been shattered from day 1 and sadly it never eased. My iron count has gone down but not enough to warrant tablets. At 32 weeks apparently I should have been glowing for sometime. I can promise you I have never glowed during this pregnancy and feel utterly wiped out!

Get your bloods checked, eat well and rest. You may need iron but you may also just be tired.

flakjacket Tue 30-Apr-13 17:39:49

Was totally knackered through all four pregnancies. I felt as if my blood had been replaced with lead. You have my heartfelt sympathy. I felt less tired afterwards, even with the sleepless nights!

BabyHMummy Tue 30-Apr-13 20:26:20

I am exhausted permanently and my iron levels are fine as far as i know...am 24 weeks...but i do have spd and am not sleeping thru so

Are you sleeping ok at night or is it disturbed? I am up and down all night for wees too which doesn't help!

knittingirl Wed 01-May-13 09:23:03

I am waking up 3-5 times a night which probably isn't helping lol... I think I'm going to try earlier nights for a few days and see if that makes much of a difference, if not I may get checked out. Sorry you guys are all feeling so tired too but nice to know it's not just me! I think I was expecting the second trimester energy everyone talks about but it's just not showed up smile

HannahLaRouge Wed 01-May-13 09:39:15

I feel your pain! Absolutely shattered constantly but then struggling to stay asleep at night - doesn't help that my husband is away for work on and off for the next four months so I'm unsettled :S I've been made to feel really guilty by work (have only taken two days off, and it's casual work anyway - they don't seem to count the days you struggle in like death warmed up!) but am trying to make sure I rest when I can and sleep whenever I'm tired where possible, even if it's the middle of the day x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now