Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Any advice re GTT? Worried :(

(8 Posts)
HeffalumpTheFlump Tue 30-Apr-13 10:12:24

Hiya, iv got my GTT appointment through and you can't eat anything from 10 the night before. I have never been one for eating breakfast but since being pregnant I eat the minute I get up or I feel awful and within an hour I pass out.

I have arranged a lift to the hospital for the test so I'm not driving and putting myself/others at risk, but I'm really worried about it. I hate feeling so ill like that and really panic about fainting. Has anyone got any advice?

learnermummy Tue 30-Apr-13 11:43:47

I was worried about that too, especially as I had to drive myself to the hospital. It honestly was much better than I thought, and I amazed myself by not being completely ravenous by the end of it. The drink is a bit hard to stomach, especially in the 5 minute time frame I was given, but overall it was fine. Can you talk to your midwife about your worries?

elliejjtiny Tue 30-Apr-13 11:48:07

Have you talked to your midwife about it? I've still got morning sickness and dreaded the fasting bit of the GTT, just knew I was going to throw up after drinking the sugary stuff and have to do it all again. Getting a lift to the hospital is a good idea. Why are you having the GTT. If you are in an area where they test everyone and you are not in a high risk category I think I would decline the test but if you are high risk then it's trickier.

pocopearl Tue 30-Apr-13 11:54:42

I had mine yesterday and have had morning sickness all through my pregnancy and its worse when i dont eat, so when i say the nurse for the first blood test i told her and she offered me an empty room in the surgery and offered me water and a sick bowl. smile luckily mine was at my doctors surgery, just tell the nurse when you go im sure they are used to it. Dont worry, but be warned Lucozade has never tasted so disgusting than it did yesterday morning after not having anything. Take a book or stock up on apps for your phone and the time will fly by. It will be fine, 1 other piece of advice get them to take the blood from different arms, I had it from one and my arm aches like hell today! smile seriously dont worry you will be fine.

TinkyPeet Tue 30-Apr-13 11:57:39

I thought I would be te same but I just tried to distract myself and I was fine, did feel a bit yucky but took a couple of cereal bars and ha them on te way out x

HeffalumpTheFlump Tue 30-Apr-13 12:41:35

Thanks for the replies, I'm having it because iv got PCOS so i can't opt out unfortunately. Thanks I will have food at the ready for after and just warn them I might hit the floor lol! I tried to do a bit of a test run this morning to see how it might go and I fainted in the shower :/ oops! I've got an appointment with the obstetrician a couple of days before so I'll ask him if he has any advice then. I've had the test before, but not whilst pregnant, it was just to see if I had insulin resistance to do with the PCOS. Thanks again for the advice nice to know I'm not alone. I did think asking a pregnant woman to starve herself was asking for trouble!!

javabean Tue 30-Apr-13 12:53:03

My advice is not to try and do anything in the morning, get ready the night before so you only have to get dressed and go. Sleep in as late as you can so you have less time to think about it. And remember that there are calories in the drink so it's not normally as bad once you've drunk it.

It's a horrible test though, and I am sure they must see quite a few pregnant ladies fainting because of it!

HeffalumpTheFlump Tue 30-Apr-13 13:41:38

I was thinking I will probably be grateful for the sugary drink no matter how crap it tastes lol! Good advice about getting ready the night before, thank you. I definitely don't want a repeat of the shower incident!! It's mad, I used to go without eating til well into the afternoon with no problem (I know that's not good for you) and now I can't cope without food for even an hour in the morning!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now