Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Anxiety or pregnancy problem, how can I tell??

(5 Posts)
Dolallytats Tue 30-Apr-13 09:20:48

I am 28+1 weeks into my third pregnancy. I am also agoraphobic and the pregnancy (hormones??) have meant my anxiety has increased somewhat. The problem I have is that dizziness, blurred vision, funny feeling heads and feelings of just not 'being right' are symptoms of anxiety AND of things like pre-eclampsia a and other potentially serious pregnancy issues. How can I tell the difference? Are there any symptoms that are exclusively pregnancy related? My blood pressure is always fine (except when they take it at appts, but this is normal for me and the reason why I take it regularly at home!!).

I know I could call the midwife, but some weeks I feel like I could be calling every day-and I really don't want to waste her time or be seen as neurotic!!

soupmaker Tue 30-Apr-13 09:29:16

I'm not sure that you can tell. Why not go and see your GP and talk to them. I'm sure your MW would also be happy to speak to you.

rosiedays Tue 30-Apr-13 12:09:26

dolally pregnancy is so full of worries and hormone surges, mixed with existing anxity problems you must be some tough days flowers
here's my tips.....
Dont sweat the small stuff! by that i mean try to keep ordenary life worries to a minimum. ask yourself, do i need to worry about this NOW (or can it wait 12 weeks and dealI'll with it then?)
Keep positive, you've done this twice, what coping skills did you use last time?
try NHS direct if you don't want to call MW they will advise (on what you say) if you need to call or not.
If calling MW will reduce you stress level.... Do it. thats part of their job and a good MW will be only to happy to put your mind at rest.
Be kind to yourself, take time out for yourself, treat yourself if poss (it's ok coz your really treating the baby! grin ) long bath with candles, fav take-a-way.
think about a psych referal, 1 or 2 meetings with a CPN could really help. (their not so scary i was one!!!) they can help you with coping skills and are always another port in a storm (bad day)

I'm 28 weeks today smile some days i have to dig deep in my own bag of coping skills to keep myself sane.
hope that helps. good luck.

BabyHMummy Tue 30-Apr-13 12:37:04

Dolally better to call every day and be reassured than to not call and it turn out to be something serious!!

I suffer with anxiety and it has a tendency to become agoraphobia if i don't focus really hard to force myself out everyday so i do understand. I have never had dizzy spells or blurred vision from it though so i would say call them for a home visit before it gets much worse.

Hugs Xxx

Dolallytats Tue 30-Apr-13 17:49:58

Thank you all for your replies. I was hoping to avoid calling the MW, but you are of course right. It is better to phone and make sure. BabyH, they only do home visits if you are having a home birth-not something I want due to DC1 being born with the cord round her neck and DC2 being a risky pregnancy due to heavy bleeding and a low-lying placenta. However, I think I will ask again as it seems silly that it isn't an option in other circumstances.

Rosiedays, I actually have an assessment tomorrow (telephone) for CBT done with home visits. I'm hoping it won't be too long between assessment and first appointment (although the anxious agoraphobic in me hopes it either takes ages so I don't have to do exposure work or someone finds a miracle cure for me!!)

Thank you all again smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now