Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

please help me write my birth plan, what to say?!

(9 Posts)
babyradio Mon 29-Apr-13 23:01:26

I'm having a scheduled induction at 38 weeks so will be in a consultant-led unit. No water birth allowed!

I'm open to all forms of pain relief, fine with medical students, will have my mum with me, would like to remain active as far as possible and if at any point it is apparent that myself or the baby are struggling I'm fine with whatever intervention is needed e.g. forceps, ventouse, etc.

If I word it a bit less bluntly is that a birth plan...?

Has anyone got any experience/knowledge of what 'by-products' (for lack of a better term) can be donated? I'm giving birth in a research hospital but I haven't had a chance to ask them yet.

What about post-birth, I've heard about vit K injections and delayed cord clamping etc but thought both were widely recommended anyway?

And, more unpleasantly... is it better to have an episiotomy than not to if it's obvious you will tear, does that come under intervention?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

squidgeberry Tue 30-Apr-13 06:44:43

I had an induction with gel and was allowed in the pool as my labour progressed normally after that.

You say you are open to any form of pain relief, but also want an active labour. These aren't always compatible with each other or induction. They will want to strap you to the monitor a lot/continuously, you might have a drip, if you have an epidural you will be most likely on a bed etc.

Delayed cord clamping is not a standard practice, and if you have syntocinon drip, they will most likely want to clamp the cord straight away.

Vit K is standard unless you don't want to have it, in which case put it in your plan.

What do you think about after the birth? I.e do you want immediate skin to skin, or to have the baby cleaned first? Do you want your husband/partner to clamp cord or tell you the sex?

HadALittleFaithBaby Tue 30-Apr-13 09:15:50

DD is 16 days old so this is fresh in my mind!
I did mine as bullet points like;
- start with paracetamol and use tens machine
- have gas and air
- will consider diamorphine
- prefer not to have epidural (but will consider it if in lots of pain)

Etc. I also put about only having DH with me, that he didn't want to cut the cord, that I wanted skin to skin when she was born and that I planned to breast feed.

In the end my labour was so rapid I never got past the first bullet point! Gas and air was great when I had my stitches done though smile
But I did get the main things I'd hoped for like the skin to skin (which was the most amazing feeling ever). The midwife who did my ante-natal classes said the more flexible you are, the easier your labour tends to be to manage.

MustTidyUpMustTidyUp Tue 30-Apr-13 09:20:46

You can be as blunt as you like.
For DC3 mine was very blunt and the midwife in hospital said it was te best birthplan she'd ever read. probably says that to all the girls grin Don't write it like an essay just use bullet points and be very clear.

LittleBearPad Tue 30-Apr-13 09:29:58

Sounds like a birthplan to me. I don't think there's anything wrong with bluntness either; using bullet points is clear and easy for the midwife to digest quickly much more than my first essay like effort

It may be helpful to add info about post-birth ie vit K as then the midwife doesn't need to ask when you're snuggling your newborn. Delayed cord clamping is technically not in Nice guidelines (I understand) so if you'd like it it won't hurt to mention it. Also helpful to add if you're planning to breastfeed or not for info.

(I was induced and ended up with a fair amount of intervention so it was good to have thought about things beforehand. The gel didn't work so I had the synto drip. I think at that point I wasn't allowed to eat and could only drink water and lucozade sport. You may want to check this with the hospital so you can stock up.)

babyradio Tue 30-Apr-13 10:32:44

Thanks everyone! I won't feel bad about using bullet points then smile

I had a serious DVT a few years ago so that's why I'm anxious about being confined to bed because obviously I can't take my medication. It's making me think of an epidural as a last resort because I worry so much about not being able to move.

At the moment it honestly feels like in the long run it might be better to ask for a C Section because although any surgery is tricky with me, planning for it feels better than risking it all going wrong and needing emergency surgery. But that's probably DVT anxiety because I haven't yet forgotten how awful that was.

He's also not playing fair and is breech. Who'd have a baby!

stitchinline Tue 30-Apr-13 11:47:08

Your plan sounds very similar to mine, I was also open to whatever was needed to get me through the labour and delivery. I was induced at 40 weeks also because of a history of dvt and pe - unsuprisingly i ended up needing all the interventions as baby was just not ready to come out, she never came down and was facing the wrong way. My epidurals also failed twice and had to be replaced - not fun! I think episiotomy comes under interventions - I had one because of the forceps but also tore a bit as well.

I'm now preganant with my second and seriously giving consideration to an elcs - I can't see how if they induce early again it wil progress any different and also feel like you that although it does have risks planning for it might be better than the risk of a similar delivery to last time.....

elfycat Tue 30-Apr-13 12:18:13

I had a birth plan of - let me body do its job without interfering where possible. DH and my DM to be attendants. DH to double check with medical staff any intervention pros and cons so I don't have to remember.

That was it. I didn't even write it down.

My sister wrote a longer plan, and I cast a nurses eye over it. I suggested a PTO and on the back to write 'If intervention is needed than explain to me quickly and simply. If I need a c-section in an emergency so be it'.

As a theatre nurse I've seen women 'fail' their birth plan coming into theatre and be upset by it. Make a small note so that it's on there as it's an emotive time to have a change of plan.

My birth plan worked even though DD2 was a vontouse delivery and I was next in theatre if there had been any difficulty (labour stopped as DD2 turned back to back after I was fully dilated and descending. I had to be re-induced but it failed when she reacted).

MummyJetsetter Tue 30-Apr-13 12:58:41

Honestly unless you are wanting them specifically not to do anything then you don't really need one. And if anything needs doing in an emergency then it goes out the window anyway because they do what they have to do. I never did one and it was great. Daddy cut the cord and everything. You might be in pain but you are there at the time to tell them what you want. x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now