Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

One kidney

(4 Posts)
laurajane89 Mon 29-Apr-13 17:46:15

Hi i am 36+4 weeks pregnant and i have only got one kidney so i am classed as high risk, i had an appointment with my consultant today and he said he would like me to get my midwife to book me a date to be induced because he doesnt want me to go over due. Has anyone else has this?
I have had no problems in my pregnancy so why would he want me to be induced?

mysterymeg Mon 29-Apr-13 21:40:55

Hello I am also single kidneyed but am only 29 + 3 at themoment. Can only think that he's worried your kidney will struggle with the strain if you go over. Will watch with interest as no-one has suggested this to me yet. Unfortunately I've had a few infections during the pregnancy which has been a bit annoying but other than that my consultant has been pleased with my progress.

laurajane89 Mon 29-Apr-13 22:09:50

This came has a shock to me today as no one has ever mentioned this to me before and everyone has been pleased with my progress. I am seeing my midwife on wednesday so im going to ask her about it.

Jojobump1986 Mon 29-Apr-13 23:44:56

My kidneys started to struggle towards the end of my pregnancy with DS1 & they identified protein in my urine & were making noises about induction then. We kept putting it off & I went into labour at 41 weeks naturally. We had to go in for monitoring every evening for a couple of days between them discovering the protein & my waters breaking just to make sure I wasn't developing pre-eclampsia. Maybe there's a greater risk of developing it if you only have one kidney?!

My sister only has one mass of kidney tissue - her kidneys just didn't separate so developed as one blob. I'm pretty sure that she's been told she'll need to speak to her consultant before even TTC. I shall have to remember to encourage her to ask if induction would be advisable for her!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now