Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

I've eaten a goat's cheese quiche and am panicking

(8 Posts)
NoDiggity Mon 29-Apr-13 10:22:14

A bit of background - I had three miscarriages last year (followed by asherman's syndrome) but I'm now (finally!) 14 weeks pregnant and over the moon! I'm very anxious about this pregnancy and stupidly ate a cold goat's cheese quiche at the weekend (from Sainsbury's). I'm now terrified about listeria. If anyone can give me some reassurance I would be really grateful. Thanks.

SeriousStuff Mon 29-Apr-13 10:28:21

You should be fine - 99% chance the cheese was pasteurised and it had been cooked which will have killed off any harmful bugs.

I assume you don't feel ill after eating it?

MrsMargoLeadbetter Mon 29-Apr-13 10:31:07

Sorry to hear of your previous losses.

Pls don't panic. This NHS article says: "However, cooked goat’s cheese is safe to eat, such as in a goats’ cheese tart" www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/2684.aspx?CategoryID=54&SubCategoryID=216 I think it is raw goats cheese that is the issue.

I am sure you will be fine. If you get a fever etc go to the Dr's asap.

NoDiggity Mon 29-Apr-13 11:08:31

Thanks both - I really need to calm down!

annaitaliana Mon 29-Apr-13 11:18:21

First of all, congrats! And second of all, a friend me this article which I found helpful - it's an old one from Zoe Williams but she raises some good points about the "listeria hysteria":

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2007/may/29/health.medicineandhealth

annaitaliana Mon 29-Apr-13 11:20:56

I should add... my friend sent it to me because I was panicking over accidentally eating some delicious forbidden blue cheese.

NoDiggity Mon 29-Apr-13 14:30:52

thanks anna - that article has hugely put my mind to rest

weeblueberry Mon 29-Apr-13 14:50:45

Also if it's in quiche won't it have been cooked? So even if it were a 'forbidden' cheese you'd still be perfectly safe hon. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now