Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

I am crazy! Working at 38/39 weeks - but am self employed and it is from home!

(30 Posts)
CareerGirl01 Mon 29-Apr-13 10:03:28

Agreed to do one little teeny weeny bit of work before I have DD2 (via ELCS)n next week. The company wanting me to do the work have a regular freelance contract up for grabs in the summer running into next year, so I thought I'd give them my best shot. Only thing is my baby brain self is feeling very laid back today. My deadline is 4pm today too! Anyone else out there worked up until the last minute? The work is worth £500 so mad to turn it down.

SneakyBiscuitEater Mon 29-Apr-13 10:21:19

I worked until 37+5 in academia. Did our one day intensive antenatal course on the Saturday at 37+6 as had been way too busy to attend weekly sessions. Stroked bump on way out of antenatal class saying its ok we're ready for you now... Had DS the next morning at 38+0

Stayed in overnight came home the next day and was marking final year dissertations in between feeding and meconium nappies. I went back to work when DS was two and a bit months old so I didn't miss a day of teaching (DS is a summer baby).

It was shit I felt horrifically torn and would never put myself in that situation again.

Bramshott Mon 29-Apr-13 10:23:57

DD2 was born at 38+2 and I worked the day before she was born. I'm also self-employed, and work from home. There were also inevitable bits to finish off in the first week - amazing what you can get done on the baby-high before your hormones come crashing down about day 4!!

180209cooper Mon 29-Apr-13 10:53:53

I had a textbook pregnancy & felt brilliant & worked up until 39+5. I went 10 days over but meant I had more time with my child. Do what you feel is right for you. If you feel ok than you prob are ok to carry on.

slugsonmypeasgrr Mon 29-Apr-13 11:31:34

I am doing the same and feeling quite torn already... My colleague is asking me whether I can do a meeting 2 hrs away by train at 38+5 and I kind of know it's not feasible but the money is tempting. I am already 35 weeks and finding it tough to have energy etc but like you this is my freelancing business and I can't rely on work... It's making me a bit emotional today actually!

rrreow Mon 29-Apr-13 13:22:49

DH and I run our own company and work from home. Last time I worked until 37+6 (DS was born on 38+1 which was a Sunday). It's not really an option for me to take time off akin to proper maternity leave. It's an office based admin job though so not too bad and I have the flexibility to take it easy (sleep in once in a while if I have a bad night, or have a nap).

Having said that I'd love to take at least a few days off here and there before my due date, but I doubt I will. Currently 33w and got an overwhelming urge to organise/clean the house and crochet baby stuff!

TwoTearsInABucket Mon 29-Apr-13 13:34:07

Definitely if you feel up to it then go for it! I am now working from home, pregnant with DC3 and am struggling to get the energy to do the work as I feel sick all the time.
With DC1 I was working in an office. I had to go into London for a meeting when I was 35 weeks pregnant. The next week I ended up going on maternity leave 3 days early. I worked late to get all the hand over notes done and the next day went in for my blood pressure check up at the day assessment unit. I didn't come out until 19 days later after pre-eclampsia and waiting to be induced for 15 days which ended in an EmCS. DH still gets cross when he thinks about that trip to London and finishing those notes. At the time I felt so obligated to the company.
slugsonmypeasgrr - be a bit easy on yourself, I know work can't be relied on as a freelancer, but I wouldn't go to the meeting if you know its not feasible.

Monka Mon 29-Apr-13 14:43:50

I am planning to give up work at 38 weeks plus a couple of days. Have agreed that the last two weeks from about 36 weeks onwards will just be desk based and no travelling between locations. I want as much time off afterwards with the baby as I can afford.

Pizdets Mon 29-Apr-13 14:52:38

I'm also freelance and have been thinking about this. I have a cerclage which will be taken out at 37 weeks, so there's a good chance the baby will come soon after that.

I'm hoping to wind down my projects by about 35 weeks and do a couple of hours basic admin work a day, if I can find it, just so I don't start cutting into my maternity allowance/savings too soon.

It's so hard isn't it, because I have a good reputation and am turning work down at the moment, am worried it'll be harder to pick up after a break, but then I chose to freelance for the lifestyle, not to stress myself out more!

Slugsonmypeas hope you manage to say no to the meeting and relax a bit over the next few weeks!

Piz

weeblueberry Mon 29-Apr-13 14:53:49

Yep I'm 38+5 today and still working. Last day is tomorrow.

I'm utterly utterly panicking. I've worked since I was 17 and have no clue how I'm going to handle not having something to do every day. I have made plans for the days leading up to my due date even though I strongly suspect I'll be fashionably late but have visions of me sitting on the end of the bed just starting into space. For hours.

sad

CareerGirl01 Mon 29-Apr-13 17:15:28

Glad I'm not the only crazy one. Article finished now - although the editor may have some queries - but if he likes it its regular well paid work I can do until DD1 and this bub to be are at school. I am taking six weeks off if I can now though - starting now!

Tiredtrout Mon 29-Apr-13 17:24:46

I'm still working too, 38+5 now giving up at the weekend when I'll be 39+3 very ready to stop now but need the time off later. Glad you managed to finish your article

Bunnychan Mon 29-Apr-13 19:16:02

I'm 36+ 4 and I'm hopefully working up to 38+1. I'm a teacher and still teaching this week but will be out of class/report writing the last week. I'm still happy working and find it fine when I'm there but god I get tired and achy at night now x

harryhausen Mon 29-Apr-13 22:59:55

I worked up to the day before dc1 was born - and she was 2 weeks overdue!

I'm self employed too and work from home, so I figured I may as well squeeze in as much work as I can.

In contrast, dc2 was induced 3 weeks early and I had to down tools suddenly and left a lot of work people dangling. I spent much of labour being worried about work. They were totally fine and the sky didn't fall in! Lesson learnt for megrin

Sparklyboots Mon 29-Apr-13 23:18:43

I worked til the day before DS was born, but he was born on Christmas Day... If it hadn't have been Christmas Day and I hadn't actually woken up in labour, I would have continued working as I had broken my off-switch somewhere along the line. Also I was suffering that first-time-round-delusion that the birth is the end of something or is some sort of final hurdle; whereas it's actually the beginning of the hardest and most tiring thing of your whole entire life.

Fortunately, the birth of DS came complete with an off-switch overhaul; this time round I swore to take mat leave before the baby came. It hasn't been exactly the month I mistily promised myself at the start because I wanted to leave work with all my responsibilities taken very good care of - so I finished today at 38+5. I have been working from home for the last week, though, so that's quite good, although I do expect to be taking calls right until I announce I'm in labour... However, how much of a break this will turn out to be is another matter, because I've now got a toddler to look after full time. I'm not sure this is easier than my job but it's probably significantly more goady...

DoTheStrand Mon 29-Apr-13 23:27:53

I am also self employed and work from home. With both DSs I worked til the day before my ELCS. With DS1 I had bleeding on and off throughout the pregnancy so my consultant told me to stay at home. I felt fine apart from the worry so I just did loads and loads of work (nothing else to do!). I think I earned more that year than any other before or since.

I did start work again 8 weeks after DS1 was born which was a bit daft, the firm I was freelancing for would have been happy for me to have longer off (they treated me v well) but someone had to do the work and I wanted to make sure I didn't miss out on future contracts.

CareerGirl01 Tue 30-Apr-13 12:19:59

Dothestrand I've offered to do bits of work after the baby is born. I'm lucky in that DM and DD and stepmum live really near and can come in and help if I have bits and pieces of work to do. I took 17 months off with DD (but that was because it was 2008/09 and recession bit my industry hard) and wish I'd kept something up.

badguider Tue 30-Apr-13 12:25:03

I am freelance and plan to do some work up to 39+2 as that's the nearest month end.
In that last month I guess I won't agree to any meetings so it'll all be home-working and I will make sure there are no concrete deliverables that can't be picked up by somebody else if I do go into labour. I also think that just because of those conditions I will be working very part-time by then. Maybe 2-3 days a week?

I have a permanent 0.5day a week client who I am only taking 3months off from, but that's ALL at-home and can be done at any time of day/night and also isn't all that brain-intensive.

SeriousStuff Tue 30-Apr-13 18:03:07

Yep - I'm only 16+3 but already planning on working til I pop. Will take 2 months off completely then will start doing a day's work a week (better money than the piddly state maternity pay) and see how I get on.

I wish I could take 12 months off but I also wouldn't wish to be an employee again. I enjoy the freedom of working for myself too much. And to be fair, I'm incredibly fortunate to be able to work from home with my baby when he/she arrives.

Enjoy your "time off" Career!

KobayashiMaru Tue 30-Apr-13 19:10:51

Whats crazy about it? I worked up until 40 weeks with dc1 and 2.

KingRollo Tue 30-Apr-13 19:14:46

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

VenusRising Tue 30-Apr-13 19:19:25

I worked up to the weekend before dd was due. Then took five days off (was in hospital after crash section) and was back answering emails in a week with baby latched on, raging mastitis and agony from section wound. I don't think I stopped crying for a month also, my hormones were all over the place. Thankfully I didn't have to meet any clients!

You're mad to turn down any work at all: get as much done now as you can, and make sure you take a few days off after having the baby!

DoTheStrand Tue 30-Apr-13 23:00:17

CareerGirl I think if you've got family help nearby you will be fine. With DS1 I worked in the evenings which was fine as he was a reasonable sleeper but it meant I never got to have an early night, or a nap (DH was sometimes at home and took DS1 for a walk during the day so I could work then too).

DS2 was a dream baby, if he'd been DS1 I would have been back earning by about day 3 grin but there was so much to do looking after 2 compared to 1 that it took me a lot longer to start work (I had stopped freelancing by then, but was working on my own websites). Also DH started a full-on new contract when DS2 was a week old so I had to do all the baby/child stuff myself (sometimes I did feel I would rather have been at my keyboard with a nice cup of tea and the sound of silence instead of the sound of 'Muuuummm!!!' ringing in my ears).

Thumbwitch Tue 30-Apr-13 23:04:44

I was working around then as well - I had my self-employment job, which was quite physical, which I had stopped at about 36w (and started again 6w post-birth from home) and also was still doing sub-editing work from home for the journal I worked on. That did get exciting post-birth, because reading scientific papers requires a reasonable amount of concentration, something in short supply with a new baby!

You're not really crazy - you're maximising your opportunities and it's a Good Thing so long as you don't stress yourself out. Good luck!

CareerGirl01 Wed 01-May-13 09:44:53

Hey Thumbwitch I know what you mean about trying to concentrate - I've only been getting 4 hours sleep a night - but my sleep is always bad in pregnancy. I actually think having bits and piece of work keeps me sane, obviously I'm taking a few weeks off to concentrate on the baby. Longer term it means I can save on the combined costs of childcare and commuting. We were paying £900 a month for a childminder was DD1 was 18 months old - 3 years, plus £300 a month to commute. I'm not doing that again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now