Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Scan next week but still no midwife..

(11 Posts)
MyCatIsCalledLois Sun 28-Apr-13 14:49:58

Hi all,

I'm really hoping for some advice.
I'm 12 weeks pregnant with my first child and have a scan on Tuesday. Despite chasing up politely I am yet to see a midwife which has been a little disappointing as I would have loved someone to ask daft 'is this normal' questions to. I finally heard from a midwife Thurs eve when they left a message to say they might be able to fit me in next week - not massively reassuring and the phone has since been switched off.

We haven't shared our baby news yet and hoped to after the scan if all looked good. However as I'm yet to see a midwife/have a blood test my husband and I are now a little worried that we should wait til this has happened and the blood results are back before sharing. I wondered if a) anyone had had a similiar experience not seeing the midwife until after the scan or b) could advise on whether it's sensible to get the blood results back before sharing?

I didn't have a great start to the pregnancy as the nurse I saw at my Drs found some blood cells in my initial urine sample and told me 'don't tell anyone or get your hopes up' which was abit deflating at the time but touch wood all has been okay so far despite us expecting something to go wrong all the time.

Would love some friendly advice.
Lx

Fakebook Sun 28-Apr-13 14:55:25

Have you phoned up your surgery and booked a booking-in appointment with the midwife? Or are they refusing to book an appointment for you? On our 12wk scan letters the hospital asks that you've been booked in with a midwife by 13 weeks.

Yonionekanobe Sun 28-Apr-13 14:58:31

If I remember rightly with DD the sonographer had the blood results I I am sure there wasn't a separate appointment. She explained risk factors as result of the bloods combined with measurements.

Good luck for Tuesday! I hope it is a wonderful moment for you and your DH.

Oh, and I find the daft 'is this normal questions' were best asked here on Mumsnet! wink

TeaTowelQueen Sun 28-Apr-13 15:01:55

Same happened to me, I had had two scans (early IVF one plus 12 weeks) before I saw a midwife. I stomped into the surgery when I knew she was there and quietly but forcefully demanded to see her.

Then I wished I hadn't bothered because she was fecking useless. Luckily she was replaced after a few weeks by an angel so just stand your ground.

Congrats and good luck grin

MyCatIsCalledLois Sun 28-Apr-13 15:03:31

On my letter it says it is important to have seen the midwife by 12 weeks. I've called the community booking number they have given me three times. They keep saying the midwife I've even allocated has been on holiday and will be in touch soon. Someone has now been in touch but they called me at 10pm and left a message to say they weren't available for a few days and might have something for me next week. I called back but the phone is switched off and I couldn't get through to the booking centre at all on Fri. Appreciate how over stretched NHS is but concerned I haven't yet seen anyone.

GrasshopperNchipmunk Sun 28-Apr-13 16:20:01

Hi, I had my booking in appointment with the midwife at the same time as the 12 week scans for both pregnancies. I think it's pretty normal to not see a midwife before 12 weeks - though I think this depends what area you live and how they organise the midwifery service.

I would wait for the scan before sharing news def, not sure about the blood tests, and you could be waiting weeks for the results from these confused

Finallygotaroundtoit Sun 28-Apr-13 16:25:32

Not good.

Are you sure no one has tried to contact you? Hospital numbers usually come up as 'private'. Does the no you gave take msgs?

MyCatIsCalledLois Sun 28-Apr-13 17:03:38

Thanks for all the messages/advice, so nice to have people to talk to.

I'm in North London (referred to The Whittington) and as far as I can tell the midwives are community based. My docs referred me on and the hospital see me for scans etc only. I've definitely not missed a call and the number I have is saying 'this phone is switched off' and so can't leave a message.

I'm going to call the main number I have again tomo and not be quite so submissive when they say 'someone will be in touch'

It's a relief to know lots of people weren't seen before 12 weeks. I guess I'm just anxious that its not all following the right order as its my first. I'm so desperate to tell friends and family now that the thought of waiting for blood test and then results which would be post scan now seems way too difficult.

Thanks all.

LadyMedea Sun 28-Apr-13 18:19:39

NHS guidelines are that booking should take place at 8-12 weeks. However as long as you don't have any complicating factors I guess the scan is more important to get in. I'm assuming at booking (not had mine yet) they just take your history and talk about where you want to give birth - hence the booking bit. There isn't much else they can do so early.

Still crap though.

piprabbit Sun 28-Apr-13 18:23:05

They have targets - they have to see women by 12 weeks. Our hospital gets a kicking if they don't see women by 12 weeks, even when the women haven't informed anyone of their pregnancy by 12 weeks.

Do put a bit of pressure on them when you call, don't just accept being fobbed off.

Hazeydays Sun 28-Apr-13 20:43:40

hi there,

I definately wasnt seen until after my scan, I think it was 14 or 15 weeks which I thought was a bit funny but Im obviously a novice at this sort of thing, I guess it depends on the hospital and which area/health board you are under, perhaps you could try calling the early pregancy unit and maybe they could reassure or give you some helpful advice, they were just lovely to me!

good luck pet, I hope you get to see someone soon and that it all goes well!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now