Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Does anybody know what happens if you can't make first scan?

(11 Posts)
Yonionekanobe Sun 28-Apr-13 14:32:06

Hi everyone. I'm pg with DC2, and have just realised that I am on holiday for the three week period when my scan appointment will most likely be. It's a long distance, already paid for, very special trip so cancelling not an option.

I may be lucky and get a date a couple of days before going/after return, but Murphy's law being what it is...

I can afford to pay for a private NT scan if need be but am worried trying to move/cancel my NHS scan will send the system into a spin, and I don't want to take the private route right up to birth having had complication on delivering DD.

Thanks!

Steffanoid Sun 28-Apr-13 14:38:18

Surely you can just contact them when you get a letter with the date and they can reschedule it?

lovemybabyboy Sun 28-Apr-13 14:39:10

I had to cancel my dating scan, I paid for a private one at 13wks and had NHS dating scan at 16wks instead, my 20wk scan was done at 20wks so it has not affected the rest of my care/appointments. Just see if you can have the scan before or after you go on holiday and if you want to you could also have a private one.

Yonionekanobe Sun 28-Apr-13 14:44:56

I think rescheduling in the timeframe, or stating a prefernece of dates, will be near impossible, unfortunately. Hugely busy, oversubscribed, Central London hospital.

Thanks lovemybabyboy I imagine that will be how things transpire for me too!

thepeanutsparent Sun 28-Apr-13 14:50:07

I was going away long haul for the 1st scan. The same sort of hospital and they were v helpful- gave me a date the day before we flew and another the day after we got back when it turned out baby wasn't far on enough. Just explain to them and they'll help you out I'm sure. Hth

Yonionekanobe Sun 28-Apr-13 14:51:53

Very helpful - thanks! I may well be going the hospital a gross disservice so will see what can be done when I receive the date.

BabyHMummy Sun 28-Apr-13 17:30:27

I had to ring and book mine myself. I would give them a ring tomorrow and explain and see if they can squeeze you in before or schedule you for after. I can't see it being a massive issue if you are giving them for warning.

redandyellowandpinkandgreen Sun 28-Apr-13 18:18:11

Doesn't it depend whether you want a nuchal test as there is a limited time period when you can have that?

LouiseD29 Sun 28-Apr-13 18:23:04

Mine is a busy, central London hospital. They've been great about rescheduling appointments. Good luck and enjoy your trip!

Yonionekanobe Sun 28-Apr-13 18:48:35

Thanks everyone!

The limited window is my worry - having said that nuchal scan with DD was pushing it very close to the end of the window.

Bodicea Sun 28-Apr-13 20:28:25

I would ring them before you get your appointment. Before the earlier appointments get filled x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now