Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

First time father

(8 Posts)
shingen Sun 28-Apr-13 10:42:20

Hi everyone,

I found out two days ago that my girlfriend is pregnant. I'm a little overwhelmed at the minute and still in shock (probably).
I hope I'm posting in the right group as well.
My question is this;
My Girlfriend at the minute lives around 120 miles away and is currently in the process of moving in with me(this was already prearranged before this news) she is going to move in on the 13th of May. Should she arrange a doctors visit where she is now or would it be ok to wait till she moves and then arrange it here? I have a friend who is experienced with kids and she thinks I should wait so that the scans, etc can be done local to her new address.

I would really appreciate a response to this and if there are local parents to the B32 area of Birmingham that would be really helpful.

Regards,

shingen

RJM17 Sun 28-Apr-13 11:03:41

I would personally wait until she moves. Although if she wants to go to her current doctors to get everything confirmed she can. She won't have her booking appointment at the hospital until at least 8 weeks as this is when they do this so depending how far she is she may have already moved anyway. But she has the choice of what hospital what she wants to have the baby in (as do all expectant mums on nhs) so she just needs to make sure she books her booking appointment for your local hospital.
Congratulations and hope that helps a bit.

Steffanoid Sun 28-Apr-13 11:04:28

Roughly how many weeks will she be when she moves? Booking in is usually at 9/10 weeks in my area so she may be able to wait, may even be able to register and try and book in for the appt before she moves but at your doctors IYSWIM?
Congratulations and all the best of luck with everything x

shingen Sun 28-Apr-13 11:23:20

Thanks for the replies, She is 3 weeks at the moment so I guess we can wait. She is starting to get emotional and I wondered if anyone has advice on something I can do to treat her? I don't mind her being emotional, comes with the territory I just want her to know that its going to be ok?

RJM17 Sun 28-Apr-13 11:25:13

Jut be there and be supportive! Maybe take her on a special day out. We have been going for meals a lot more because obviously I can't go out drinking. But it has been lovely as it gives us time to discuss everything and talk about the baby.

lexib Sun 28-Apr-13 11:31:28

How about skype? My husband and I (before we were married and together) used to say goodnight on skype every night... Sounds fairly minor but made me feel hugely reassured

shingen Sun 28-Apr-13 11:33:21

Yeah we use facetime every night just to chat. I will take her on a special day out. thanks for the advice everyone smile

Steffanoid Sun 28-Apr-13 11:33:22

Send her something non pregnancy related in the post? I love getting post, maybe flowers or chocolate, not cheap ones, from somewhere like hotel chocolate? To let her know that you love her and are thinking about her if you are far away? Or go up and surprise visit her before she moves to brum? If you've got a free day or 2 and know she has at the same time? It'll make her feel really special, or even something like a Skype date? ESP if you can't see her or don't have the funds to post her presents, Tell her to be free for an hour or two on a specific night and video chat together even before she goes to bed or something, can be the next best thing to a hug before sleep when you're far away smile lots of little things you can do x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now