Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

21 weeks and need to get healthier-anyone want to join me?

(13 Posts)
Blanketsandpillows Sun 28-Apr-13 09:26:12

I've always struggled with my weight but have worked hard to get/maintain slimness over the last few years. Anyhow, I'm now 21 weeks and have used this pregnancy as an excuse to eat everything...and a lot of everything. I have also given up on exercise, something I did regularly before (last April I ran the marathon!). I checked my weight for the first time yesterday and I have put on a stone. According to information I've found this is the very maximum I should have put on.
I'm frustrated with myself as I know I will be so down post-birth if I have more to lose than I should need to (I fully recognise that I will have some weight gain-I just think I should start thinking about it), and I really want to enjoy that time as best I can.
So...I'm going to be more careful this week...I'll start to exercise more and I'll regulate what I eat and how much I eat. I don't want to diet but I do want to cut down on sweets/chocolate and crisps...I want to be sensible-for me and for the baby! Is anyone in the same boat? Would anyone want to join me in a mid-pregnancy health-kick! (we could move the thread if there were a few of us).

NTMummy059 Sun 28-Apr-13 11:05:18

Im also 21 weeks and my diet is terrible! blush I make a real effort to buy fruit and veg .. But it just sits in my fridge and I end up eating lots of crisps, chocolate etc because of convenience.
I think it's just habit because I've always eaten like this and (not meaning to brag) have stayed a size 10.
But now I need to be more responsible as my baby is more important!!
Lets be healthy! grin

NTMummy059 Sun 28-Apr-13 11:07:54

P.S I haven't weighed myself at all.. Left it to through midwives/doctors and haven't checked notes on that bit (just assume they would tell me if weight gain was too much?)

Kelly1814 Sun 28-Apr-13 13:52:28

i'm with you, trying very hard to stay healthy.

my best advice would be: try not to have the crxp stuff in the house! if crisps and chocolate are easily accessible, my willpower is not strong.

if i have to go out to the shop to get it, i won't bother and will find something healthy.

RhiRhi87 Sun 28-Apr-13 17:02:04

So glad I found this thread as I have made this mid-pregnancy resolution today too! I'm 26 weeks, was slightly overweight before pregnancy but as I'm quite tall it wasn't too bad. I had lost nearly 2 1/2 stone through slimming world and was looking forward to losing more. Then bam, got pregnant, left slimming world, say on my arse, and have stuffed my face since then. I've put on 2 stone!!!!! sad I need to change now! Not only for mine and the babies health, but for my self-esteem. I feel nothing I wear makes me look nice. Things either cling or swamp, 2 not great looks for me! I don't want to weigh myself again un till after I have the baby and hopefully some of the changes I make from now will mean that that is less of a shock. I'm all in for a support network through this! Xx

Pusspuss1 Sun 28-Apr-13 19:39:28

Yes please, I'd like to join you! I'm 24 weeks today and really quite worried about the weight gain. As at last Mon, I'd put on 1 stone 2lb, which according to one of those pregnancy calculators is right at the upper limit of what I should have gained. I seem to be putting on 1.5lb a week now, which seems like loads.

I've been trying to eat a bit more healthily and counting calories trying to come in at the recommended 2000 a day, and also trying to get out for a good brisk walk most days, too. Using a couple of apps to help me - Myfitnesspal for the calories and Mapmywalk for the walks (good motivation to see what I've done).

Glad it's not just me struggling with this one! I just really don't want to end up putting on too much and leaving myself with a big weight problem to sort out once this baby turns up!

RhiRhi87 Sun 28-Apr-13 19:55:34

I may have to download those apps!
This has started affecting my relationship. My OH think I make no effort and have let myself go (I have). He tries to suggest things it's just he's not naturally very encouraging or supportive and we always end up arguing about it. I'm worried that if I don't start doing something now he will leave me.

Pusspuss1 Sun 28-Apr-13 20:16:34

Oh no - that mustn't happen. I bet if he sees you making a real effort to keep things on track, he'll come round. Do explain to him that you really can't diet and exercise like you would normally when you're pregnant, though, because it's bad for the baby. He needs to understand that a certain amount of weight gain is both normal and healthy, not least to build up fat stores to cope with breastfeeding. That said, of course we all can and should try to stay in reasonable shape during pregnancy, but it ain't easy! The apps are free - well worth a try.x

Hazeydays Sun 28-Apr-13 20:26:21

Can I join too ladies? I'm feeling like a heffer!! My war cry of "baby wants chips" has been my excuse for too much bad eating and I too have put on about a stone and a half....

Obviously not into weight loss but healthy eating which would give me energy is a definate must!

Mayanbob Sun 28-Apr-13 21:24:27

I pledge to join. DMIL keeps buying me chocolate. And then I eat it ALL. Plus cheese. (not together) 23+5 and SPD means the brisk walking is out for me. Doesn't help that i'm just in on my own a lot, with the chocolate... and well... one thing leads to another. Have put on a 1/2 a stone in last 3 weeks. AGH!

Pusspuss1 Mon 29-Apr-13 07:26:02

LOL - yep, I'm at home a lot with only the biscuits for company too. Also I'm trying to do some studying, which is hungry work. It is tough! Also I keep getting a bit bored and peckish and baking stuff... Mind you, I'm attempting to perfect the art of fat free baking, which is, I feel, important research.

SeriousStuff Mon 29-Apr-13 10:30:24

Yes please! I'm 16+2 and whilst I'm trying to fit in some gentle exercise, my eating has gone out of control! Before pg my portions were always the same as my husband and I've always had a good appetite, but I also used to be able to reign it back in if I felt my clothes getting a bit tight!

But now...any food on offer is a goer.

redandyellowandpinkandgreen Mon 29-Apr-13 13:36:32

Yes! I'm concentrating on getting my 5 a day, some days I haven't even eaten a vegetable which is terrible. I'm hoping if I'm eating all the good stuff I won't have as much room for the bad stuff.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now