Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

27 weeks & bed rest

(8 Posts)
cantreachmytoes Sat 27-Apr-13 20:46:18

I'm on bed rest at 27 weeks (started last week). I think I'm in denial about why this is, but I don't want to focus on the worst case scenario - which has just started to sink in this evening.

My cervix was significantly shorter than the previous month, but still hard and not dilated at my last appointment. There was no cervical u/s because the ob/gyn said it wasn't "dramatic" for now, but I had to go on bed rest.

So I feel that it could be worse, but clearly, bed rest isn't for no reason.

Do I need to prepare a hospital bag? If so, what do i need to put in it if I might be having a pre-term baby/birth?!

amazingmumof6 Sun 28-Apr-13 00:28:03

if the cervix is in anyway "compromised" - for want of a better word- then any pressure put on it by gravity/baby/waters would increase the risk of the cervix opening/dilating, which should be avoided at this stage.

did they not say this or similar to you?

yes, bed rest is for a reason and however boring & frustrating you must do as you are told (sorry for being like your mother....)

have no experience in pre-term birth or hospital stay or after care - perhaps you could post your question on another page about NICU care or info about premature babies - I'm sure people there will give you loads of advice as per their experiences.

all I can think of is comfy clothes and a charger for your phone are very useful for you.

not sure what to take for baby, very small babies don't always have clothes and I think nappies are probably provided by the hospital - I won't say more coz I'm only guessing.

I hope it won't come to that yet, but here's a trick to make counting the days more fun: buy a fabric or paper tape measure and work out how many days are there until your due date.

at 27 weeks it will be roughly 90 days. so trim the tape measure to say 90 cms, than cut off 1cm for each day that has passed.

As the tape measure is getting smaller your baby's getting bigger& stronger, so collect offcuts in an empty jam jar (decorated with pretty things when bored) and see the progress you & baby are making - every day s/he is inside is a bonus!

Mutley77 Sun 28-Apr-13 01:21:19

Sorry to hear about your bed rest - how frustrating and worrying. I am guessing this is your first and in which case I suppose I would just say make the most of the rest if you can.

I would just pack the normal bag (if you google or search on here I am sure there is a basic hospital bag list) - you will def need the general things for you - eg pj's, dressing gown, slippers, toiletries, towel, maternity pads, cosmetics, a book/magazines, some nice snacks and hospital notes. You may find if you have any signs of labour that you are in and out of hospital being monitored, possibly without actually having the baby, so it will be handy to have a bag ready incase of going in at short notice.

In terms of buying for a prem baby I would probably leave buying anything specific now as it may not happen and if you go to term (or nearly term) you wouldn't need the stuff anyway. My friend had two premmies (one at 28 wks) and she was totally unprepared - they have clothes and things (tiny nappies as well I guess) on the ward for those eventualities as few people prepare to have a tiny baby. Your friends/family would then go and get what you need as required - with 24/7 shopping in most places it is not too hard to get it all within a couple of days.

drawohamme Sun 28-Apr-13 09:52:53

Not exactly what you were asking but this happened to me too.

Sat on my bottom doing nothing for a few weeks and hurrah, at the next appointment I was 4mm longer, 30 weeks and discharged from preterm.

Good luck, try to enjoy the 'rest' smile

cantreachmytoes Sun 28-Apr-13 22:42:42

Was wanting to respond from my computer but didn't manage, so on phone and can't reference, sorry!

I love the tape measure/jam jar idea!

It's not my first, my first arrived 42+1, so entirely different kettle of fish. I just didn't know what different to pack or how it works for preemies. I don't want to go on the preemie thread because it's all a bit scary really!

As for the lengthening cervix, that is VERY good news! I was told it couldn't/wouldn't happen by my midwife, but have come across it online. Not sure how it all works, but who cares?! Important thing is that it can!!

Off to visualise a really long, hard, closed cervix..wink

amazingmumof6 Sun 28-Apr-13 22:58:46

as much as I'm happy to hold your hand I will not be joining in the visualization session grin

amazingmumof6 Sun 28-Apr-13 23:00:53

shit, as soon as I sent that I imagined a very long tunnel....then the Channel Tunnel, so dark....you can't say you are alone in this! grin

Twinklestarstwinklestars Mon 29-Apr-13 07:27:19

I was told my cervix is already soft and they thought it was short but when they scanned me it was just soft, I wasn't put on bed rest though just told to go in at any pains. Did they do the fibronectin? Test on you to see if you're at risk of preterm labour? I've just packed normal hospital bags for now (I'm 29 weeks).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now