Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Have to have second scan

(20 Posts)
Debbie37 Sat 27-Apr-13 19:34:15

hi , I'm only new to this site so please bare with me . Went for my 22 weeks scan Thursday just gone . The woman doing it wasn't pleasant in anyway . At first she asked do u feel ur baby kick much I said yes that was fine . My partner was outside and after 10 mins of her pressing hard down on my stomach checking all she called him in . Showed us baby heart feet legs etc . She then said that she was gonna bring me back in two weeks time as there was a couple of things she couldn't see . Such as babys face . Couldn't see gender either . Baby did move a lot . When my partner asked should we be worried she said no . She said that I had a lot of belly fat which made it difficult to see baby's face . So she was bring me back . Now I didn't think to much at first .but yesterday I began to freak out thinking what if something is wrong . Has this happened to anyone else ??

sleepyhead Sat 27-Apr-13 19:38:16

Try not to worry. They've got a list of things they check for at the 20 week scan and if they can't see them all during the scan then they'll often try again another time. Totally routine.

We had an amnio at 17 weeks and part of that was a detailed scan. There were a few things they couldn't see clearly and the sonographer particularly looked for them at the 20 week scan (face was one actually). All was fine.

I've found the sonographers etc to be very honest and matter of fact, so I think you can believe her when she says not to worry. You'd be told if they suspected anything was wrong rather than just not being able to see clearly enough that everything was ok (if you see what I mean).

Flisspaps Sat 27-Apr-13 19:38:53

This happens sometimes. DS was being awkward and wouldn't let the sonographer get his face at first to check his palate, we'd have had to have gone back if he hadn't moved at the last minute.

I wasn't aware they checked gender though as a standard test - it can be tricky to tell!

If you are larger, it can be trickier to get a good picture than if you were perhaps smaller.

I'd not fret.

johnnycomelurky Sat 27-Apr-13 19:44:01

Yes I had to go back for a second scan as they couldn't get all the measurements needed and my son wouldn't move! I think if something is actually wrong they say and you'd end up speaking to a consultant.

chattychattyboomba Sat 27-Apr-13 19:48:12

Don't worry. I had to have 3 scans around that stage as they told me they couldn't get all the measurements. They also said each time they think it's a girl but wouldn't tell us categorically. That was annoying. They also kept changing my due date! Anyway DD was born perfectly healthy. smile

MissHinky Sat 27-Apr-13 19:52:45

Yes, it's routine if they can't check it all on the first visit.

I went back for a 2nd anomaly scan yesterday as they couldn't check the face, heart and umbilical artery due to baby's position (and BMI was a factor on my scan notes) on the first visit.

They managed to finish it all yesterday.

As others have said, the sonographers are pretty honest. If they found something, they would have told you smile

Debbie37 Sat 27-Apr-13 19:57:25

Thanks , that's the only thing that's keeping me going ,is she said no about us not to be worried .however when your mind starts racing it just doesn't stop .

JollyPurpleGiant Sat 27-Apr-13 19:59:55

Please don't worry smile We had 2 anomaly scans when I was pregnant with DS and he's perfect smile (he was just an awkward bugger and wouldn't get in a good position for the sonographer.)

ExpatAl Sat 27-Apr-13 20:00:22

I have to go back too in a couple of weeks because the baby was moving so much it was hard to see a few things. I see this as a bonus because I get to see all the teeny fingers and toes etc again. smile.

DoodleAlley Sat 27-Apr-13 20:02:46

I had to go back. They couldn't see dds heart because if positioning.

It wasn't that there was anything worrying but just that the position meant they hadn't been able to check it.

doublecakeplease Sat 27-Apr-13 20:04:35

Our hospital repeat the 20 week scan @ 23 weeks for lots of ladies with raised bmi (me included) try not to worry :-)

Debbie37 Sat 27-Apr-13 20:21:42

Thanks everyone it's 15 years since I was last pregnant u forget a lot of things smile especially how much over thinking u do

Debbie37 Sun 28-Apr-13 19:45:29

Your all probably gonna think I'm mad . But I'm having terrible nightmares now . Would the girl doing the scan say what she thought problem was rather than put me off saying no to not worry .

ExpatAl Sun 28-Apr-13 19:50:11

Absolutely definitely not.

piprabbit Sun 28-Apr-13 19:55:42

If there was a problem you would not be waiting 2 weeks for another scan.

Your baby was in an odd position, which along with a bit of tummy fat, made it hard for her to get a full set of measurements. That's all. It happened to me and my baby was fine, just stubborn about shifting position when other people asked (hmm, she still is stubborn, some bits of personality don't seem to change).

Try to put your mind at rest, if you are still having thoughts and dreams and feeling stressed, then talk to your community MW who should be able to help you relax about the checks.

Flisspaps Sun 28-Apr-13 21:20:17

If she thought there was a problem then you'd be told what it was and she may have got someone else to come and look before telling you. You wouldn't be fobbed off and then told to come back in a fortnight.

HumphreyCobbler Sun 28-Apr-13 21:23:48

Yes, if there was a problem they would have told you there and then and given you more scans straight away, not waited for two weeks.

They have told you the actual truth - try not to worry. I know this is hard as I am a worrier, but do try!

Debbie37 Sun 28-Apr-13 22:38:16

Thanks all, I feel like such a sap . But I can't help it

Debbie37 Fri 03-May-13 16:17:57

Ello, so after waiting all week thinking I was gonna be having scan next week as the woman said . Appointment arrived today . It's not till 6th of June so realistically they can be that worried . ??? Hopefully

TinkyPeet Fri 03-May-13 16:19:37

If they were worried they would have re-scanned you an hour or so later after a walk round or the next day. X

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now