Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Royal Surrey Hospital

(6 Posts)
Newtobecomingamum Sat 27-Apr-13 17:48:12

Please can you share any of your experiences if you gave birth at RSH. I am due to have my baby here and after having the tour of the delivery unit, I was so disappointed. The care I have received here throughout a difficult/stressful pregnancy has been excellent so I was really excited and pleased to be having my baby here. However, at the tour the delivery rooms were tiny and looked so clinical, there was no active birthing room/s, although they had one room with a big pool and two small rooms with deep baths (meant to be used like a pool) and I just felt so disappointed. Recently, other friends that have had tours in other hospitals like Easy Surrey and Epsom etc have said how nice and big ghe rooms are, there are active birthing rooms (jungle rooms and I really want to be quite active during labour) and the pools are nice and big etc. Is it too late to change hospital, I am 35 weeks? Any advice would be greatly appreciated X x

mrsmalcolmreynolds Sat 27-Apr-13 19:41:02

Hi. I had DD (3.6) at RSCH and will be having DC2 there (34 wks pg). My experience was excellent during birth, bit less so afterwards but that was really down to my own stressing and them being really busy.

I had DD in a normal delivery room - plan was for the home from home mw led unit but as it happened they were super busy so you just went where there was space! It wasn't a problem as by the time I got there I was 8cm and just desperate for some gas and air. I also found I got v tired so by pushing time didn't really have the energy for active birthing positions.

AFAIK there shouldn't be any problem changing where you want to give birth now - I'm not even being asked about my birthb plan until 36wks. However, my own view is that it is not necessarily a good idea to get too fixed on a certain idea of how birth and labour are going to go. There is always a risk that they won't turn out that way for loads of different reasons and I think it's better to save your emotional energy fornduring and after the birth.

If you do want to change I'd think carefully about what you're giving up as well as what you may be gaining. Depending on where you live, East Surrey and Molesley could be a fair way away - is that going to be practical if you have to go to and fro a few times or for your DP if you're in for a couple of days? I'd also check out how busy they are - it's all very well having fancy facilities but they will be allocated first come first served so there is no guarantee that you will get to use them. Finally, perhaps look at some active positions and techniques that don't need props or where you could bring your own - a birthing ball, or just kneeling up using the headboard of the bed.

Good luck!

mrsmalcolmreynolds Sat 27-Apr-13 19:42:37

Sorry - Epsom not Molesley! Also meant to add that I've heard that Frimley is generally v busy.

Newtobecomingamum Sun 28-Apr-13 17:04:29

Many thanks for your advice. This why I really do love and value this site as it can really help you make decisions. I have looked into things further and you are right, I can always take/use my own equipment etc and like you said things might not be how I planned them anyway. Going to stick with RSH smile many thanks for your post X

PurplePoppySeed Sun 28-Apr-13 22:45:07

I've heard so many good things about the team at RSH and am pleased I'm in this postcode too, personally I want to try for a home birth, but I'm feeling confident that if it doesn't work out, then I'll be in a good place smile

mrsmalcolmreynolds Mon 29-Apr-13 22:23:24

newtobecomingamum you are very welcome, I'm really glad it was useful! Best of luck, and who knows we may see each in the halls without realising it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now