Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Medela steriliser!?

(5 Posts)
Clouise1626 Sat 27-Apr-13 13:35:52

I am going to be breastfeeding again for my second so have decided to stick to medela products for expressing etc... All is well on that front but they dont seem to sell sterilisers!?
Any suggestions on which would be the best suited?

sleepyhead Sat 27-Apr-13 13:50:20

When I was in hospital recently and using a hospital pump to express for ds (2 weeks at that point), the midwives said that I didn't need to sterilise equipment used for breast milk - thorough washing in hot, soapy water, air dry on clean paper towel and store in a clean, sealed container (tupperware box or similar) was sufficient.

If you're expressing regularly you also don't need to clean the pump every time. Just put in a clean plastic bag and store in fridge. Wash thoroughly and air dry once a day.

Up to that point though, I'd been using Milton tablets and just cold water sterilising in a plastic box. Depends on how often you expect to be expressing and using bottles though as to how much of a faff you'd find it.

adagio Sat 27-Apr-13 14:05:30

Medela do microwave bags for sterilising. I haven't got them, so no idea if they are any good - just sharing.

I am using Medela Swing pump (second hand), Medela bottles (Mothercare bargain - 4 bottles, a cooly bag with specially shaped cool block, and a handbag to keep your pump in all for £15 in the sale), Calma teat; I have a (second hand) Steam steriliser but didn't get that immediately just used cold water sterilisation in an old jug every so often initially.

Agree with other comment - I was also told that breast milk has enough good stuff in it to just wash up throughly and re use, and sterilise once a week or so. Now I have the steamer I tend to sterilise more often as its so easy (8 mins bam). I wash up with half a washing up sponge used exclusively for baby stuff (didn't bother with a bottle brush)

ClosedAuraOpenMind Sat 27-Apr-13 22:01:44

I had a medela steam steriliser.......loved it as it was nice and big for doing bits from breast pump and bottles. Bought it on amazon, so maybe look there, it wasn't cheap but I used it daily for 2 years plus with no problems

smaths Sat 27-Apr-13 22:16:09

I had a medela pump, just washed the equipment with hot soapy water and used own brand milton equivalent every now and again (maybe twice a week) if i felt i had left a bit too long before i washed it. Never had any tummy troubles.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now