Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Healthy food advice - protein

(7 Posts)
Smerlin Sat 27-Apr-13 11:27:50

Hi all

Quick thread for inspiration before I go to the supermarket! At nearly 15 weeks my morning sickness is slowly beginning to recede so am trying to eat some more nutritious foods as in the first three months I only really wanted to eat carbs and junk- hardly any fruit and veg or protein/meat both of which are very unusual for me- I used to think I had quite a healthy diet until getting pregnant! :-(

Anyway has anyone got some good recipe ideas for increasing my protein intake as I still feel a bit ill at the thought of preparing raw meat!

I used to eat pretty much anything...

Alexandra6 Sat 27-Apr-13 13:44:34

I am 9 weeks and really struggling to eat protein which I feel horribly guilty about! I don't eat meat but usually eat lots of fish, eggs, beans but at the moment it just turns my stomach! These are some non-meat protein ideas I'm going to try and force myself to eat:

Baked beans on whole meal toast
Fish and chips (the cod is good if not the chips!)
Fish cakes - fish hidden in the cakes
Lentil curry
Lentil soup
Omelette
Shepherd pies with kidney bean and veg instead of meat

Don't know if I'll be able to force myself but am going to try! Will be good to see any other recipe ideas

dottypyjamas Sat 27-Apr-13 18:01:43

How about:

Snacks - hoummous or Philadelphiaand carrot sticks, peanut butter on toast or ryvita, sesame snacks (crunchy sesame bars which are full of sugar but are yum!) Yoghurts

Mains - chickpea and roasted mediterranean veg stew with couscous, pea, feta and mint fritatta (posh omelette!), homemade bean burgers, halloumi salad with lots of nice stuff like avacado and croutons to make it more exciting, veggie 3 bean chilli, baked pots with cottage cheese/tuna/baked beans, lentil curry

Hope that helps - I was exactly the same up until about 16 weeks, lived on sandwiches! I'm a fake veggie (i eat fish) and these meals are my usuals really. For recipes I tend to use the good food website

Good luck smile

Alexandra6 Sat 27-Apr-13 18:19:22

dotty I thought we weren't allowed feta?

Runswithsquirrels Sat 27-Apr-13 18:57:24

Nuts, avocados, mushrooms, quinoa, chick peas and other pulses.

dottypyjamas Sat 27-Apr-13 20:22:20

NHS website says feta fine if pasteurized or cooked - in the frittata its cooked so all good

Smerlin Mon 29-Apr-13 10:21:48

Thanks for the ideas everyone- halloumi tuna and mushrooms sound good. Fish generally is a bit easier than meat I'm finding

I love chickpeas and lentils normally but not sure how good they are for the extreme bloating I'm suffering... sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now