Talk

Advanced search

cats and pregnancy

(5 Posts)
megarobotdiscoparty Thu 25-Apr-13 11:41:41

Our normally skittish but friendly male neutered 8 year old cat has got progressively more badly behaved throughout my pregnancy. Since I've been on maternity leave he's somehow got even worse- he's spraying in every room (having to follow him round with a cloth!), attacked our other cat and has scratched her face quite badly, and then bit the health visitor shock

The feliway plug-in which normally calms him doesn't have any effect, and he gets plenty of love and cuddles but still seems stressed out. Am starting to get really concerned about what he'll be like when the baby comes sad

Has anyone had any similar experiences with pets who can give any advice or reassurance? Feel like I've tried everything!

Lydia161290 Thu 25-Apr-13 11:49:39

This sort of reminds me of our female cat. She's quite skittish too, but really friendly. Last month she went off on one, she was so stressed and was fighting with the other cats a lot. It turned out she had a urinary tract infection. She was set on a course of aniti biotics and she's been better.

I'd get him checked out by a vet, usually behavior changes in cats are down to an underlining problem.

wispa31 Thu 25-Apr-13 13:02:12

id agree with lydia, i remember a friend of mine whose cat got suddenly stressy and moody and it went on for weeks. until one day at the vets and they had found a thorn or something in its mouth sticking in the gum, the poor cat was obviously in a lot of pain. different cat again once removed and treated.

megarobotdiscoparty Thu 25-Apr-13 13:11:45

Thanks both - think because he's always been a bit jittery it hadn't even occurred there might be something else awry to make him worse. Will get him booked in today!

HeffalumpTheFlump Thu 25-Apr-13 14:24:55

If there's nothing physically wrong I would put it down to the pregnancy. Cats are animals who do not like change, they are also very perceptive and will be very aware that something is happening, but will not be able to understand what at this stage. You may find that once the baby is here, after being given some time to get used to the baby in his own time his behaviour may improve. Obviously be cautious if you know kitty is a bit jittery as you don't want him to lash out if baby startles him, but as long as you don't force kitty to be around the baby if he's not yet ready I think you should be ok. Just make sure they are supervised at all times.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now