Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

best baby monitors?

(4 Posts)
TinaO99 Wed 24-Apr-13 15:52:30

hi

I'm expecting twins soon and want to buy a baby monitor but don't have a clue which is the best, I looked at the angelcare one with a movement monitor mat but as the twins will be in separate moses baskets and then potentially cots it won't be suitable. can anyone else reccommend one they've used and liked? I was looking at ones with a video monitor but would consider any really!

thanks

adagio Wed 24-Apr-13 16:21:11

I was advised by a friend with a baby a year older than mine to get a video monitor one (they had got audio only), because then you can see if the baby is dreaming or genuinely stirring. Save extra paranoid trips upstairs and disturbing baby unnecessarily for a simple squeak. I didn't buy mine immediately as I carted the baby around everywhere with me, as per the advice about not sleeping alone till 6 months - but by 2 or 3 months old I wanted to have one so if the baby was asleep upstairs I had the choice to leave her sleeping and nip downstairs to make a cuppa etc

I have the Motorola MPB36 and it is awesome! It is video and I was amazed at the quality, night vision in particular shocked me with the clarity.

I tend to watch it and see the baby move before I hear her, so I guess some might say the volume sensitivity/playback isn't great (although that might be a setting I have missed). It has a row of LED's across the top which flash up for noise too, and they indicate it is quite sensitive (they light up before I detect the noise, hence my suspicion of a setting I have skipped - DH set it up so the manual has now disappeared...).

It can run multiple cameras so that might work for you if the twins are in separate beds/cots in the future.

I was put off the ones with a mat because the mat is relatively small, so according to reviews I saw if you have a wriggly baby then you will have frequent heart attacks thinking something has happened… conversely some reviewers with preemie babies really rated them as it could tell them the baby was ok during the night (even when sharing a room). The way mine snuffles and snorts I felt I wanted a camera more than a mat, but perhaps you might want to wait until after the birth to decide? I am glad I waited, as until the baby turned up I think I was more taken with the mat idea.

Sorry for epic length of post!

Cookethenook Wed 24-Apr-13 16:30:38

We have an angelcare one and it's brilliant. The sensor pad doesn't just pick up movements on the pad, it picks them up for the whole cot as long as you've installed it properly (eg, if the cot has wooden slats underneath, you need to put a flat wooden board on there as well to put the sensor pad on).
I'm sure i've read that you can adapt the anglecare one for twins (i can't remember where i saw this) but their customer service team is very good, so i would email them and ask if there is a solution for twins.

I know a few people that have the mid-priced BT one and say it's very good but looses it's charge quite quickly (not really a problem if you keep it plugged in all the time).

My NCT class leader really rates the video monitor ones and was very sceptical about them at first. I can see their merits, but i honestly think i'd just sit there watching my baby all evening if i had one!

TinaO99 Wed 24-Apr-13 16:35:49

thanks Ladies! I'll check out both options :-)

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: