Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Baby measuring 4 wks ahead, what might happen?

(12 Posts)
cupcake78 Wed 24-Apr-13 15:30:58

I'm measuring at 35 wks yet I'm only 31 wks. I'm already under consultant care and will see him in 3 wks time (34wks).

What might happen? Consultant doesn't do extra scans for size apparently. Slightly scared ill be giving birth to a 14lber wink

FoofFighter Wed 24-Apr-13 16:33:35

Is the MW concerned? have they/will they test you for Gestational Diabetes?

cupcake78 Wed 24-Apr-13 16:57:44

Had Gtt test all ok, blood pressure on the low side of ok. Everything else normal. Midwife called consultant but said he won't scan because he never does. She was right. He said he'd see me as normal in 3 wks.

I don't know what to expect, what's going to happen?

cupcake78 Wed 24-Apr-13 16:59:05

Bit that bothers me is ds always measured small and he was 9lb 5shock.

If this one is big already I hate to think how big it really is!

CitrusyOne Wed 24-Apr-13 17:12:08

In my experience, not a lot at all will happen. Dd measured a couple of weeks ahead the whole way through- I DID have an extra growth scan and they confirmed that she was big, but not too big. Consultant was happy for me to go 10 days over and booked me in for induction on this date. Luckily I went into labour at 2 days over, had emcs and dd was 9lb 11oz. Bigger than was predicted. Everyone had told me stories of how their babies measured big and were tiny. I don't think they're very accurate at all- I think you've just got to go with it.

The extra scan isn't the be all and end all - nothing else happened for me after they'd scanned. Did see consultant every two weeks but he said 'this is an 8lb baby maximum- you'll have it naturally no trouble'.

What will be will be. Although if I'd already had one 'biggish' baby I might be enquiring about elcs but I know they're few and far between. My consultant said if it was possible to give birth naturally that this would be safer. Good luck whatever happens!

BabyHMummy Wed 24-Apr-13 20:14:20

If they are measuring the bump to gauge size then its not brilliantly accurate as you could be trying a lot of fluid.

shelly81 Wed 24-Apr-13 20:23:33

I'm the same but I'm 36 weeks measurin 41 haha consultant said she is big but not worryingly huge .... Both my boys were 10lb+ so wasn't expecting a small baby grin you'll be fine your body knows what to do & has done it b4 my consultant said they's be more concerned if she was small cos small isn't normal for me !! X

Wickedgirl Wed 24-Apr-13 21:57:40

With my second I was measuring 4 weeks too big. They sent me for an extra scan and said the baby would be about 8lb

He came at 38+4 and weighed 9lb 13oz. I am so glad he was early!

Catsycat Wed 24-Apr-13 22:00:33

DD3 measured fairly big with the tape measure. I had a growth scan that had to be redone because when the sonographer plotted the results on the system, the baby was off the scale... she still measured big on the next go, but was 9lb 1oz at birth - biggish, but not the 10lb+ baby predicted. It didn't make much difference to me by that time, as I had a ELCS (not for size reasons!!!) anyway!

It's all a bit vague - have read comments that scans are like trying to guage the size of someone sitting in a bathtub in the next room... the external measuring must be even more tricky.

cupcake78 Thu 25-Apr-13 08:11:40

It's been mentioned that they may induce me at 40 wks if not before and not let me go over. Anybody know if this is likely?

I'm not small so I can't imagine they are concerned over a natural delivery.

ratbagcatbag Thu 25-Apr-13 08:16:48

I measure two weeks plus the whole way through, I had an extra scan 34 weeks due to reduced movements. Was advised at that point it was a big baby already 7-8lbs. shock they did say it was hard to judge though. Dd turned up at 37+4 weighing a hefty 6lb 12oz, so either she dieted for three weeks or it was in accurate. grin

CitrusyOne Fri 26-Apr-13 06:37:26

At my first consultant app they said they wouldn't let me go over, at my second one they said I would. At the time I got really stressed about it all but in hindsight I wish I'd have been more relaxed as baby has to come out one way or another.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now