Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Shouted at for eating ice-cream....

(16 Posts)
YummyMummy17 Wed 24-Apr-13 15:03:30

I had no clue that I'm "not allowed" ice cream - I just went to McDonalds with my friend and after lunch I went back to order a mcflurry on returning with the mcflurry my friend gave me a row advising it will hurt my baby if I carry on eating it.. I had never heard of something that in my mind was so bizarre! So I ate it... Now home and it's playing on my mind.... hmm

Anyone able to lay down some facts?

Please note I never normally eat ice cream, So didn't think such a little amount would do anything? blush

nannyof3 Wed 24-Apr-13 15:05:54

Of course u wont harm ur baby!!!

purrpurr Wed 24-Apr-13 15:06:17

This is a friend of yours? Really? Yummy, you can eat all the ice cream on the planet. Your friend is an idiot. I gather your friend is a medical professional? smile

YummyMummy17 Wed 24-Apr-13 15:07:34

Haha she certainly isn't but she is 38wks so didn't argue! Lol she said something about the eggs and unpatrurised milk? Hmmmmhmm

HPsauceonbaconbuttiesmmm Wed 24-Apr-13 15:07:53

McDonald's is fine, but the confusion is because soft ice cream (from an ice cream van) 99 flake type thing, is not safe. Increased risk of bugs because they don't clean the pipes regularly etc. ice cream per se is fine, and McDonalds are very strict re cleaning I understand.

Pootles2010 Wed 24-Apr-13 15:09:15

I think its mcflurrys in particular (and mr whippy type ones), there's a minute risk that because of the way the dispenser or something works there might be germs. But honestly, you'll be fine. If you're not already spewing up, it's not affected you!

Had a little chuckle at your mcdonalds-eating-friend lecturing you on nutrition though grin

littlemefi Wed 24-Apr-13 15:09:19

Actually I think there is advice re avoiding " Mr Whippy" type ice cream in pregnancy as the machines used can harbour bacteria. This was when I was pregnant with dd who is now 3 1/2.

blackteaplease Wed 24-Apr-13 15:10:23

Your friend is right but there's no need to be so forceful! I also avoided home made ice-cream as it has raw egg in it. I think Mr whippy type carries a listeria risk too.

Teaandflapjacks Wed 24-Apr-13 15:15:51

As other posters have siad - it is purely to do with bacteria unclean ice cream vans. You basically have issues with un pasteurised dairy too - hence the confusion in advice about ice cream. I eat my whippy all the time in germany, because they clean the machines here once a day (I see them do it), and they are from permanent stalls (i.e. not vans). You would feel very ill indeed if you had contracted something dodgy from an ice cream van (think noro virus) - so would definitely know!!! MacDonalds has incredibly hygiene standards - partic these days. So eat away. Your friend is talking nonsense.

Here from the NHS site itself:-

Soft ice creams should be fine to eat when you're pregnant, as they are processed products made with pasteurised milk. However, if you have any concerns about eating these products, you might wish to avoid them while you're pregnant.

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/pregnancy-and-baby/pages/foods-to-avoid-pregnant.aspx#close

FoofFighter Wed 24-Apr-13 15:16:03

McDonalds are scrupulous in cleaning the equipment every day, I have worked there in the past (and done it!!) I know advice is to not have soft serve (ie mr whippy style) icecream due to listeria risks (nothing to do with eggs!) but I really wouldn't hesitate to have a mcFlurry. (if I liked them that is!!)

Teaandflapjacks Wed 24-Apr-13 15:18:24

yes FoofFighter is spot on - it is the bacteria that breeds and the risk is listeria - which of course would be a problem when pregnant, since you more susceptible to such things in pregnancy, I believe. But as she says - McDonalds is one of the safest places to eat from vis a vis cleanliness.

Steffanoid Wed 24-Apr-13 16:38:51

It's not just the bacteria that's the risk it's the freezing process, it's a lot different for soft ice cream rather than firm ice cream, one every now and again should be fine but I try to avoid to be on the safe side

PurplePoppySeed Wed 24-Apr-13 16:48:10

Some soft ice cream or really posh restaurant ice cream can be made with raw egg, but mcDs is fine. There have been a few discussions about mcflurries in the September due date thread and the consensus has been that they are finegrin someone even spoke to staff to check and the machines are cleaned every night.

polkadotsrock Wed 24-Apr-13 18:24:39

My midwife says no to McFlurrys, but I wouldn't stress it.

ditsydoll Wed 24-Apr-13 18:29:15

I actually didn't know this and have finished off the odd ice cream factory for my dd when out for a treat at pizza hut lol. I'm 36 weeks and I'm fine. I really wouldn't worry, I ate raw egg last week byaccident and didn't get sick. Panicked for a few minutes and then put my rational head back on. If your not sick your fine x

PandaWatch Wed 24-Apr-13 19:37:54

Mcflurries are fine. McD's milkshakes are fine.

Mr whippy is a no no because ice cream vans are bacteria-mobiles best avoided whether pregnant or not!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now