Talk

Advanced search

Trying to conceive

(11 Posts)
longlashes83 Wed 24-Apr-13 10:50:32

Hi guys is anyone having trouble conceiving? I'm currently having tests done to see what the problem ciuld be :/
My partners been tested and he's fine smile I've just had blood tests and everything is normal, which is good but now I'm thinking what could it be?????
Has anyone been through testing? Whats next for me?
Me and my partner have been trying for 2 years and nothing sad
Any advice would be greatly appreciated, none of my friends understand sad

TrixieLox Wed 24-Apr-13 11:07:10

Hiya, I really sympathise with you as I've been through the same (but happily 30 weeks pregnant now). My bloods came up normal but down the line, I actually discovered I had a low ovarian reserve and various immunology and blood clotting issues so had to have IVF. Not saying this will happen with you, but your hormone levels can fluctuate, one minute being good, the next bad, so NHS blood tests aren't always conclusive.

Exactly what tests are you having?

There's a good NHS page at http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/pregnancy-and-baby/pages/fertility-tests.aspx explaining all the tests you should be entitled to. Make sure you get them all done, regardless of results. Even if nothing crops up with your tests, you should be then treated as having 'unexplained infertility' and be referred to a fertility consultant to discuss next options as 2 years is too long to TTC without any outcome.

The advice I'd give is, don't let them fob you off with a 'it'll happen'. Make sure you get all these tests done.

Good luck!

longlashes83 Wed 24-Apr-13 11:55:30

Congratulations not long to go and uour bundle of joy will be here smile
I've only just started going to the doctors, firstly my partner had his sperm analysis and he had the all clear, I've only had my test results back today, in a way I was hoping it was my hormone levels so they could give me clomid and everything be that easy and straight forward :/
I'll have a look at the website, I'm always trying to diagnose myself :/
I definitely will get all the tests done, because we both really want a baby and we won't stop until we have one.

Thank you so much for your advice

X x

AuntieStella Wed 24-Apr-13 12:01:05

Have you spotted that MN has a Conception forum. You might find the threads in there helpful, and there are several chatty threads in there for people on similar journeys.

longlashes83 Wed 24-Apr-13 12:11:22

Hey, thank you just having a read through now.

Teaandflapjacks Wed 24-Apr-13 15:31:06

I sympathise - I also had problems and had a whole load of tests done. I live in Germany and they are very thorough here with all this stuff. Straight away they picked up my under active thyroid (which interestingly on an NHS chart was not considered under active - this has been causing me problems for YEARS) and then figured out I had no progesterone levels and Hashimotos, thus rendering me infertile, and if able to get pregnant, would certainly miscarry - which happened. They had to test specifically my TPO levels to find this out. I was probably ovulating inconsistently and had irregular periods - they put me on something called chaste berry - a herbal supplement to regulate things, and thyroxin. Fell pregnant pretty quickly, I then had progesterone to hold the pregnancy for the first three months. Now 25 weeks.

Hope this helps - everyone is different - but I can't help but wonder what would be had I stayed in the UK - I had had my Thyroid tested there lots of times, and they diagnosed me with two very serious illnesses incorrectly - first an anxiety disorder, next Chronic Fatigue syndrome. They even put me on anti depressants for a while, which I stopped after 2 months as they made me feel awful. No one could explain my erratic weight, and told me to 'get out more' - I was a size 8-10 before all of this, and went then between 10 - 14 all the time. And this was seeing people on Harley Street too, via medical insurance. I lost my memory for day to day stuff, and thought I was losing the plot. All of this links to hashimotos, including my hair becoming thin sometimes. So good luck - but be very forceful with them and get stuff like this checked.

p.s. I should add, since being on thyroxin I feel completely back to normal, weight stabilised, got memory back etc etc. I will have to take Thyroxin for ever (it doesn't fix itself) but I am eternally grateful to my doctor here for giving me my life back - in many ways). I hope it works out for you - all the prodding and poking not much fun, but end result worth it. Also once we stopped 'trying' and were having a month off - we fell pregnant after a few too many jars of the old sauce. Prior to that I was very careful with my drinking etc! grin

Alexandra6 Wed 24-Apr-13 15:39:48

Do you have irregular periods? I did and they looked into it and found out I have poly cystic ovaries. They don't THINK I was ovulated naturally so I ended up having clomid to kickstart ovulation after my tubes were blocked. Have you tried to find out if you're ovulating naturally, temping/ovulation sticks, that type of thing? Good luck, I remember very well how hard it all was x

Alexandra6 Wed 24-Apr-13 15:40:28

Sorry meant after my tubes were checked for blockages, to make sure they were clear.

longlashes83 Wed 24-Apr-13 18:15:32

Hey guys, my periods are bang on time every month but I'm not heavy at all it only lasts for 2-3 days and I'm not heavy at all.......but however they are quite painful I always have to take pain killers for the first two days........
I have tried ovulation sticks but I could never tell with the lines if they were positive or not :/
I'm also on folic acid so hopefully that will help.........
I'm pretty in tune with my body I can always feel when I'm ovulating because my breasts become so tender and my temperature rises and I can feel it, it actually makes me really tired and moody!
What ovulating tests would you recommend?
I'll be going to the doctors next week so I'm intrigued to no whats the next step forme, I know its going to be a long journey and emotional. .........
How long did it take you guys to get sorted?
Me and my fiance are getting married next year, plus I'm 30 this year we both want a child so much :/

MaryannM Wed 24-Apr-13 18:47:13

Hi Hun, I understand the process you are going through as we have been there ourselves. It took us 2 years to conceive and to give you some hope, I am now 23 weeks pregnant.

My partner's tests all came back normal, my bloods normal. We have Normal weight range, neither of us smoke. My cycle was regular, although I would have a brief period, 2-3 days max, but painful too.

I had an internal examination, everything ok there but they did discover I had poly cystic ovaries, the cysts were tiny and there weren't many of them. Now I've not had symptoms of PCOS other than that over the last few years my energy levels have been lower than usual and that I had to work extra, and I mean loads extra, to keep my weight down. But I put that down to simply getting older.

Anyway, they did further tests and I was diagnosed as being insulin resistant. I was put on a dosage of metformin and was pregnant within 2 months. Apparently insulin resistance and PCOS are linked and they cause irregular ovulation. The metformin restored that - clearly!

You may have been checked out for all this, but it's worth knowing if not. Good luck, and try to stay positive, I know that's much easier said than done. Also don't be afraid to push and push for more tests. Take care xx

longlashes83 Wed 24-Apr-13 19:01:25

Hi hun thanks so much for replying, you sound very similar to what my symptoms are..........I'm also a normal weight, but have also put weight on but also put that down to age, I used to be a dancer but stopped 2 years ago so the weight just piled on but I'm an average size 12........
I too think that I'm not ovulating regularly
so I'll be sure to not let the doctors count that out as my blood tests came back normal :/
If it is something along these lines then it would make things more clear.
The more I hear of people who are dealing or have dealt with this issue then it makes me happy to think that there will be a baby at the end of this journey smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now