Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

So what CAN you take for a cold?

(11 Posts)
Christelle2207 Wed 24-Apr-13 09:18:03

Went to France in January. Caught cold which was thoroughly miserable and lasted 3 weeks. Took nothing but paracetamol and strepsils, gp and pharmacist both unhelpfully said I couldn't take anything with decongestant in which is almost all cold/flu remedies.
So...off to Germany Friday, I'm ok at the moment but DH is going down again and I expect to get it. aaaargh. Obviously they have pharmacies in Germany but keen to stock up before I go - is there anything else I can take????!!

Cies Wed 24-Apr-13 09:19:48

Don't think so. Well, except for hot honey and lemon.

featherbag Wed 24-Apr-13 09:25:17

Nope, sorry! Being pregnant and ill or in pain sucks!

SeriousStuff Wed 24-Apr-13 10:01:18

Afraid not - I had a really bad chesty cold over Easter and it still hasn't completely cleared - plenty of fluids, keep eating normally and rest. Maybe some orange juice for vit c and hot Ribena with honey and lemon. I hope you feel better soon.

Bejeena Wed 24-Apr-13 10:04:14

My doctor has told me only paracetamol too.

Yes they have pharmacies here in Germany but I would make sure you bring paracetamol with you as the prices are extrotionate, it is about 9€ for a (generic) pack as opposed to the 50p for the same generic version in Tesco!

FactOfTheMatter Wed 24-Apr-13 10:34:24

Strepsils aren't advised either wink. Honey and lemon, paracetomol, olbas oil (a couple of drops in some boiling water for the steam works well) - that's about it. Sympathy sad

TheSurgeonsMate Wed 24-Apr-13 10:40:34

Steam is the traditional answer, I think.

I did an all day meeting with colleagues who didn't know I was pregnant and were baffled by my attempts to medicate my cold with fruit pastilles. sad

PinkApple86 Wed 24-Apr-13 11:51:24

I went to France in March and also got a cold! I wrote a note in French and got father in law to take it to the chemist saying I was pregnant, had a cold, and sell me what I can have. He came back with paracetamol and nasal decongestant spray so I suppose you can take it in moderation. I also used a teaspoon of Vicks vapor rub in a bowl of boiling water and breathed it in with a towel over. Lots of sleep and feeling sorry for myself also worked eventually.

Christelle2207 Wed 24-Apr-13 12:29:40

thanks all, Vicks vapor rub sounds like a good idea. Sounds like another miserable holiday :-(

Kelly1814 Wed 24-Apr-13 13:07:38

you can also take tylenol...my doc gave me this when i had bronchitis in early pregnancy.

featherbag Wed 24-Apr-13 13:15:02

Tylenol is the American brand name for paracetamol isn't it?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now