Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Tell me your pregnancy style

(18 Posts)
rowtunda Tue 23-Apr-13 22:04:12

I'm at that irritating stage 16 weeks, not really got a bump but want to go shopping but don't want to buy anything I'm going to grow out of straight away and not a massive fan of maternity clothes.

This is my second pregnancy so I should really know what I'm doing but all I remember is feeling pretty dowdy making do with larger jeans and baggy tops and a few bodycon style tops and dresses. Struggled to get the weight off after and not having any clothes I liked to wear postnatally did get me down. Also I'm less happy with my body this time so bodycon is less appealing (also crap for transition to breastfeeding!)

Anyway tell me your secrets of how to look and feel good when pregnant and beyond!

coffeewineandchocolate Tue 23-Apr-13 22:05:58

Stretch dresses and leggings. Like a uniform...

BabyHMummy Tue 23-Apr-13 22:13:06

Maternity jeggins and t shirts...i am hating it. I like to look smart but maternity clothes suck big style!!!!

WeeS Tue 23-Apr-13 22:24:54

I've been living in maternity leggings & vest tops & uggs. I recently discovered H&M maternity wear & have bought a couple of really flattering dresses & they were really cheap too! Just need some nice weather.......

themilkmonster Tue 23-Apr-13 22:41:52

tunics over leggings - every day!

try ebay for some bargains if you don't want to spend much. Most of the stuff people are selling will hardly have been worn.

Mrsambition Tue 23-Apr-13 22:49:28

Best tip, don't buy maternity clothes. Buy a few pairs of essentials like jeans/black trousers & after that just buy a few sizes up! I've only bought a few things from primark & new look. Bought leggings & jeggings from asda & I keep pretty up to date with fashion so I don't look like a granny. Maternity ranges are so old fashioned it's awful.

craftycottontail Wed 24-Apr-13 00:51:47

Agree with Mrsambtion, I've made do with maternity jeans from H&M teamed with non-maternity tunic style tops from pre-pregancy or a size up.

Or dresses but also non-maternity - roomier empire styles a la White Stuff and Fat Face, or just jersey dresses eg Dorothy Perkins. All teamed with maternity tights (Boots).

Must admit though am nearly 36 weeks and had to invest in pair of comfy maternity leggings (H&M again) last week as some clothes are getting too tight!

I did also get a couple of maternity skirts from Ebay - disappointing as they too tight a couple of months ago but at least they were cheap and I can sell them on.

pinksky Wed 24-Apr-13 06:54:05

At the moment I've bought a belt extender and bump bands so I'm in my normal jeans/trousers, and plan on buying some maternity leggings/tights. For work I'm in shift dresses with tights and flats. I really look crap in jersey, and have to look smart at work.
I've bought non maternity stuff which I hope will last for a while - a few shift dresses from TK maxx (lots of new summer stuff in) which are baggy round the middle, and some nice tops from mint velvet and warehouse.
Not sure what I'll do when I get really big, maybe buy dresses in larger sizes and take them in at the shoulders?!

HazleNutt Wed 24-Apr-13 07:05:25

I'm 31 weeks and mostly in stretchy dresses and ruched tops - normal, not maternity ones. Phase 8 has some nice ones that will be wearable afterwards too. Wearing my normal suit jackets, just unbuttoned.

cupcake78 Wed 24-Apr-13 07:29:45

Leggings or black trousers, denim skirt, maxi skirts and dress. Stretchy vest tops, t-shirts, long sleeved tunics. Cardigans and poncho.

Sick of all of them and not everything fits anymore.

Giraffeshoes Wed 24-Apr-13 08:27:13

Same as others have said - stretchy dresses (coast/lk Bennett/phase 8 etc) with normal suit jackets for work. Leggings or maternity jeans plus longer / tunic style stretchy non- maternity tops for casual wear.

Kelly1814 Wed 24-Apr-13 08:46:49

this is all very interesting and useful!

i'm 16 weeks without bump but know it will come soon.

i need to look pretty smart for work, i also live in a country where it's already 40 degrees and will go up to 50 in abut 8 weeks, so leggings not the best option here! and there is zero maternity wear in the shops.

sigh.

MummyJetsetter Wed 24-Apr-13 08:48:03

Hi, I'm 16 weeks with my second too but my bump is showing quite a lot now, didn't show this soon in 1st pregnancy!

I've been living in leggings and been wearing maternity vest tops, just the ones that are the same as normal ones but longer and my normal tops that are on the long side. When the weather warms up I'll be wearing all of my normal sized maxi dresses. I need a trip to h&m as I've heard they have a nice maternity section and I've got some things from the top shop maternity section, that's really nice because obviously top shop is for young people. I'm going on holiday in 2 weeks though and I'm really struggling to get any nice shorts!

A lot of people say about getting tops in bigger sizes but I don't think this is the best option because they will be out of proportion and too big at the top. x

weeblueberry Wed 24-Apr-13 09:00:02

Am 38 weeks so its currently 'whatever doesn't make me look like a sack of potatoes' wink

knittingirl Wed 24-Apr-13 09:34:24

At that point I bought a few wrap tops from jojomamanbebe. They are really comfortable and fit any bump size, so should see me right through to the end whilst fitting really well with only a small bump.

SeriousStuff Wed 24-Apr-13 10:05:03

Currently leggings with long vest tops (to cover my bum!) then one of my regular tops over that. I'm still wearing heels as it makes me feel less dowdy, but not sure how long I'll last. Seems to be working so far but I will need to buy some stuff as I get older. asos.com looks promising, especially if you have any special events to attend.

ExpatAl Wed 24-Apr-13 10:11:22

Cheapie drawstring baggy trousers from C&A and wrap tops from JojoMamanbebe. I love the short sleeved stripey wrap tops. I bought two pairs of trousers from C&A, pair of work trousers from Next and 4 wrap tops. Also have roll top joggers from Next - they are super comfortable and quite flattering when you look like you've eaten all the pies in the early stages.

rosiedays Wed 24-Apr-13 10:12:49

BIG KNICKERS!!( you'll need them anyway.) i just got a couple of packs of pretty up to arm pit granny pants and it's reinvented my wardrobe! i can now wear lots of my old clothes (low cut jeans, skirts) under my (ever growing) bump and if tops are a bit short it's ok as pretty pants cover bump giving layerd look!! (honest!!)
can't wait till sun comes..... maxi dresses all summer for me.grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now