Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

First baby

(16 Posts)
laurajane89 Tue 23-Apr-13 11:02:42

Hi i am a first timer and was wondering if its true that most first babies go over due?

nananaps Tue 23-Apr-13 11:07:31

mine was 3 weeks early.

nananaps Tue 23-Apr-13 11:08:00

Hi and welcome by the way smile

Haylebop12 Tue 23-Apr-13 11:08:16

16 days early here

laurajane89 Tue 23-Apr-13 11:09:30

Im 36weeks and just want him here now but people keep telling me that the first mostly come late

HPsauceonbaconbuttiesmmm Tue 23-Apr-13 11:10:46

Yes. Average gestation for Caucasian first timers is 41+3. (Did a lot of research last time as I got to 41+6!). Impatiently awaiting arrival of dc2, currently 41+4.
Save yourself a lot of heartache and just assume you'll go to 42 weeks. And make absolutely sure the due date you give out is for 42 weeks or the endless texts of "haven't you had the baby yet" will drive you bonkers!!

laurajane89 Tue 23-Apr-13 11:12:41

Haha thanks for the advice about texts, do the birthing balls work?

HPsauceonbaconbuttiesmmm Tue 23-Apr-13 11:15:47

They're certainly very comfy and good for getting baby into good position. Have been bouncing for weeks though so don't think they really bring on labour, but nothing outside of induction actually does. Believe me, I know!!

oscarwilde Tue 23-Apr-13 11:16:16

39 weeks and 37 with the second. sad I was so shocked - I had planned everything around being two weeks overdue and was totally unprepared even though I wanted the baby out NOW !
I know you are fed up of hearing this, feel like a whale and just want it out but make the most of it. I love my kids but it would be lovely to have a shower without one ear on a monitor, watch a film or read a book without being interrupted to watch frickin Peppa Pig or even just go to bed early and not drag myself out 2 hrs later for a dream feed ! It's a lovely time of the year to have a baby - you could start shopping for post natal clothes for feeding in. You don't HAVE to wear feeding tops but if you want to bf in normal clothes it helps to have the time to browse the aisles.

laurajane89 Tue 23-Apr-13 11:22:27

Ive got a feeling i will go over due cause i think he is just too comfy in there

oscarwilde Tue 23-Apr-13 11:52:40

I thought that too grin Had to pack my hospital bag after my waters broke.
If you really are ready, I'd start doing something that will take weeks to finish, leave your house in a general state of upheaval and if interupted will take months to get back to finishing. Guaranteed to bring on labour. grin Or you could go and sit in the sunshine and have a snooze.... just because.

Fakebook Tue 23-Apr-13 12:06:14

First baby was 2 weeks overdue, second baby was born a couple of hours after his due date! Tbh though I started squatting, swinging on swings in the park, drinking 3 cups of raspberry leaf tea, nipple twiddling and walking everywhere at 36 weeks with dc2 because I did not want to be induced again. It worked I think, you never know though for sure.

You can try the things above, but ultimately baby will come when ready! Just be prepared from now on. Good luck.

laurajane89 Tue 23-Apr-13 12:09:57

Yeah im going to make sure im ready, ive packed my hospital bag now and im currently washing all his clothes and im goin to take the dog for a walk later smile trying everythink

worsestershiresauce Tue 23-Apr-13 12:14:54

I went 4 days over. It was the longest 4 days of my life grin

laurajane89 Tue 23-Apr-13 12:37:02

Im just going to try everythink x

Rowboat Wed 24-Apr-13 13:48:04

Nearly a week early here. 2 friends just had their first at 6 days early and nearly 2 weeks. Another had hers 5 days early Most other friends have gone over. Every pregnancy is different ...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now