Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Just found out im pregnant, EEK!

(17 Posts)
AbiElizabeth Mon 22-Apr-13 18:11:12

Hi guys, i found out today that I am 5 weeks pregnant. Came as a complete and utter shock as I was on the pill. I'm currently 23 and still at University so it couldn't have come at a worse time. I'm kind of excited though. I have no knowledge of pregnancy at all though, so just wanted to ask a few things and get some reassurance that everything will be fine smile
I am having a dull ache in my abdomen, kind of like really mild period pains and I wondered if this was normal? As I said I have no knowledge about pregnancy so thought I would ask.

NellysKnickers Mon 22-Apr-13 18:14:54

Congratulations. The dull ache is normal, I had that with ds2, so don't worry. Have you booked to see a midwife yet?

awkwardsis Mon 22-Apr-13 18:18:09

I'd book into see someone. If you're in the pill you have no real way of knowing how far along you are unless you now you've missed one (I fell pregnant on the pill having taken it religiously and found out when the gp tested me) I was referred for a dating scan pretty quickly. What made you test? the ache is very normal, I always say I've never been so sure my period was coming as when I was first pregnant!

AbiElizabeth Mon 22-Apr-13 18:18:36

Thanks Nelly smile We haven't booked to see a midwife yet. Sorting it all out tomorrow. It came as quite a big shock today. Took five tests and they were all positive. I was so nervous about telling my fiance even though the rational part of my brain was screaming that he would be okay with it there was still part of me that thought he would run for the hills. With me being a student and even though he is still in full time work the financial aspect is something we need to work out.
I don't know how to feel at the moment, I am sort of excited because we would have been trying this time next year anyway, but massively scared as I don't feel old enough to be a mum and have a person who is entirely dependant upon me 24/7.

AbiElizabeth Mon 22-Apr-13 18:20:25

Well I was ill last month and was throwing up and so it must have messed up my pill. I did a test because I felt a bit off. Tired constantly and my boobs were tender so I thought I was just going to rule out pregnancy before going the docs.

SomethingOnce Mon 22-Apr-13 18:35:49

I don't think there's any age at which the prospect of a 24/7 responsibility isn't a bit daunting. You'll be fine smile

AbiElizabeth Mon 22-Apr-13 18:39:07

Thanks. I don't know how my dad is going to take the news. I'm betting his first response will be "what about uni" I have just finished my second year and only have one year left so I have to look into defering and stuff which seems very tedious.

awkwardsis Mon 22-Apr-13 18:41:04

It's quite possible to carry on your course while pregnant, I did and I know of many others too. If you're inky just regnant you can quite feasibly stay until you give birth, have a little break and return the next semester. Don't write off uni just yet.most will fall over themselves to help a student in your position

awkwardsis Mon 22-Apr-13 18:41:33

Only just pregnant. Damn ipad

SomethingOnce Mon 22-Apr-13 18:42:06

Maybe don't tell him until you've made all the plans, then you can answer his question quickly and he can get on with being excited instead!

thedevilisinthedetail Mon 22-Apr-13 18:45:38

I was 23 when I found myself in exactly your position! Except had only been with my boyfriend 6 Weeks. In no way did I feel ready! I was terrified. That baby is now 4, I have another who will be two next week and a new baby due in 7 Weeks. And am married as well.
Really hope things go well. Do you have rl support? I found support essential.

AbiElizabeth Mon 22-Apr-13 18:45:54

I am gonna talk to the uni this week and see what's what. I broke my ankle at the start of this uni year and they wouldn't let me defer till the second semester then, so I dont know if I would be allowed to just take the first semester or not. I've decided I will make all the plans and arrangements before I tell my Dad so he can see that I have thought about it.
It's not a planned pregnancy, but I have been with my fiance for two years and he isn't going anywhere so it will be a stable family for the baby to come in to. I just think it will be a bit of a shock to my Dad as this is my second time at uni. I originally went for two years and dropped out due to depression which he wasnt happy about either. There isn't much he can do though. I'm keeping this baby and he just needs to accept it.

AbiElizabeth Mon 22-Apr-13 18:47:49

Hi thedevilsinthedetail. I'm fairly new to this site, so I haven't a clue what rl support means. Care to explain?

5ammy Mon 22-Apr-13 18:53:30

Hi,

I'm in a similar situation with Uni' - although I'm 30 and already have 2 boys. I'm at the end of my secon year too, but think I'll opt for a gap year as baby will be due around Dec'. My husband and I have been trying for years (my boys aren't his) and we'd pretty much given up hope! I didn't think much of a late period as my grandad was diagnosed with cancer and died within a month, so I put being late down to stress, and being tired, and sore boobs and 'period pains' down to being due on.... I put the nausea and vomiting down to a tummy bug. I did a test just to rule out pregnancy. Actually I did 5. I'll wait 'til I've seen a midwife to approach Uni' and ask where I stand - don't fancy having to pay £9k for taking a gap year.

Nice to meet you btw :-)

AbiElizabeth Mon 22-Apr-13 18:59:24

Hi there 5ammy, pleasure to make your acquaintance (i'm an english student, so sometimes I like to use fancy words to pretend im smart :D.) You sound just like my situation. I thought i was late because of the stress of essays and not eating right. Did 5 tests because I didn't believe them as I felt like I was sure to be due on in the next few days. I would be due in december too, so gap year sounds like the best idea.

beckie90 Mon 22-Apr-13 21:35:44

Honestly you will be fine, it is all very daunting at first but it is the most amazing thing in the world. I love that I have someone that depends on me although my boys are getting to that she were they want to do things for themselfs now. I'm 22 I have 2 boys and going on 25wks with my 3rd boy. I love been a mum, but this is Defo the last one now, also was a huge shock this pregnancy.

Congratulations :D xxx

thedevilisinthedetail Mon 22-Apr-13 21:38:45

Rl means real life. My dad (and mum) were very worried and not exactly thrilled. First question was, "when will you get married". Told them we were having the baby, would make it work and hoped they would be happy. They were and are delighted with their grand children.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now