Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

TMI weed myself while being sick, is that normal?

(11 Posts)
rrreow Mon 22-Apr-13 15:18:40

Am 32w with 2nd pregnancy (vaginal birth with DC1) and haven't had any complaints with my pelvic floor. I can sneeze as much as I like without leaking any wee and never feel like I'm going to wee myself or my pelvic floor muscles are too weak. However, yesterday I had to throw up (not actually pregnancy related, I was cleaning up DC1s vomit and it made me throw up - I'm not good with sick!) and while I was heaving/throwing up I totally peed my pants (not just a tiny bit, had to change my clothes...). Does this mean my pelvic floor is not in as good a shape as I thought or is it normal??

HumphreyCobbler Mon 22-Apr-13 15:23:31

This has happened to a fair few of my friends. I think it is the process of being sick that has caused it?

K8Middleton Mon 22-Apr-13 15:27:25

Even those of us with the most robust pelvic floor all through first pg and after can suddenly get stress incontinence with the second. I was lucky that tightly crossed legs and a good brace position was enough to prevent disaster but as it got towards the end of pg I didn't feel very confident in my pelvic floor.

Do your pelvic floor exercises and cross your legs fingers that once the baby's out all will be well.

Squeeeeeeeze smile

cupcake78 Mon 22-Apr-13 15:29:09

Yes, happened to me and a few friends. It's the pressure on your bladder. Do your pelvic floor exercises as much as you can!

galwaygirl Mon 22-Apr-13 15:29:55

I had this problem earlier in this pregnancy and not just from throwing up, from coughing too. I'm hoping its fixable afterwards and have luckily managed to avoid another cough/stomach bug since.

UC Mon 22-Apr-13 15:30:45

I'd say pretty normal at your stage of second pregnancy! Your pelvic floor will be under some strain!

K8Middleton Mon 22-Apr-13 15:33:48

This is the sort of thing they should teach in sex ed at school. Would totally reduce the teenage pregnancy rate wink

june2013 Mon 22-Apr-13 15:42:52

You sure it wasn't your waters breaking?

rrreow Mon 22-Apr-13 15:58:40

Sitting here now doing my pelvic floor exercises wink

june I am sure it wasn't waters, it felt like I was weeing and just couldn't control it, then when I stopped retching I felt control return to my pelvic floor and could stop the flow.

FoofFighter Mon 22-Apr-13 16:37:05

I've had 3x gastric bugs since becoming pregnant (inc norovirus! shock) and this has happened each time with the force of being sick. Not pleasant but not anything to worry about either, I don't pee myself daily or anything.

TinkyPeet Mon 22-Apr-13 16:40:42

Happens to me sometimes too, if I'm gonna be sick I sit on the loo and trow up into the sink or bin. Xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now