Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Diarrhoea, pregnancy, and listeria panic

(6 Posts)
monniemae Mon 22-Apr-13 12:39:36

I'm 19 weeks pregnant and have had diarrhoea for last two or three days. I've been fairly "loose" for most of pregnancy but it's been q a bit worse the last couple of days. Anyway I idly started wondering if it's been my lax attitude to pregnancy food guidance and now am panicking that I have contracted listeria. Everything in UK suggests this is really unlikely and that my symptoms would be more significant, but US & Australia forums are full of women swearing that they know someone who ate a bit of soft cheese and then had a stillbirth from listeria...and that you can get it without even knowing?!

Can anyone give me some perspective please? Not along the lines of don't take any risks it's not worth it etc. When I say I've been "lax" I really mean I've researched the risks of various things at length and been entirely sensible apart from one sandwich last week that had cambozola in it because that's all that was on offer and I was absolutely starving...

Bunnychan Mon 22-Apr-13 13:10:17

There's a bug going round- I've got it too! Don't worry x

monniemae Mon 22-Apr-13 13:41:46

thank you! shall try to keep some perspective x

SomethingOnce Mon 22-Apr-13 14:25:13

If you have diarrhoea, make sure you're drinking plenty of clear fluids to keep you hydrated. Hope you feel better soon.

smallsmith Mon 22-Apr-13 19:29:38

I've had loads of diahorreah and loose movements through my whole pregnancy so far. I was worried too as mostly you read about getting constipation, which is not happening at all! My mum is a GP and she said not to worry - loads of winter bugs around, plus the pregnancy hormones affect people's digestive system in different ways. Drink lots of fresh water, eat some rice/ toast/ bananas etc, & tell your GP if it's not better in a couple more days. One cheese sandwich won't cause any problems I'm sure! Take care x

CareerGirl01 Mon 22-Apr-13 19:33:24

Listeria is nasty! You'll know if you get it. Sometimes the added pressure on bowels can make them loose. But get it checked out if you are really worried x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now