Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Changing Hospitals 14 weeks

(6 Posts)
Bex381 Mon 22-Apr-13 11:58:05

Hello Ladies,

My first post so please excuse me if this sounds really stupid! I am pregnant with my first child (14 weeks yesterday) and found out whilst I was off travelling the world, promptly came back home and have been trying to make appointments etc. I had my 12 week scan in London a few weeks ago, but that was the first appointment I've had with anyone. I haven't seen a midwife or got my orange folder or anything like that yet and time is ticking along very rapidly!

My fiancé and I, finding out that I was pregnant then decided to move out of London, and now I want to register with a hospital that is a bit closer to home so I don't have to do an hour on the train to see someone! Anyway, I am not sure who I need to contact to do this? I tried phoning the local hospital, but the first thing they ask is who your appointment is with and that's before you even get to speak to a person! I don't want to miss out on any appointments or blood test results or anything so I'm worried about changing but I know I will need to at some point anyway. My first appointment with midwife in London isn't booked until 8th or May which will put me at 16 weeks + 3 which seems quite late!?

Can anyone help me as I don't understand how these things work at all!

Thank you smile

SammyFirstBaby Mon 22-Apr-13 12:00:10

I moved house at 23 weeks and when I registered at a new docs they just did it for me smile

GiveMeVegemite Mon 22-Apr-13 19:52:26

Some hospitals do self referral so check if your new local does that. If not then your new doctor will have to refer you. 16+5 is really late for your first appointment!

stokiemum62 Tue 23-Apr-13 20:42:41

Hi,
I the UK you need to go through the community midwife. Usually although not always attached to your GP surgery. Call the surgery and leave a message for her to call you back. If she is not based there they will be able to tell you where she is, some are based at children's centres and the like. She will be able to tell you all your options for birth and arrange for your ongoing care.
Good luck

MummyJetsetter Wed 24-Apr-13 10:27:23

You need to go to the local doctors surgery and they will help you, are you already registered with a doctors surgery? If so it should be strait forward but if not you'll just have to register first. I'm guessing a midwife did your booking in at your scan so the 16 week appointment is the next one you need anyway so that's fine. You just need that to be changed to your local surgery or hospital (wherever the midwives are based). You're on track with appointments so don't worry about it. x

photographerlady Wed 24-Apr-13 11:48:23

I moved house at 19 weeks and they still managed my 20 week scan at the new hospital. If you call the new GP say you are moving in x weeks and want the first appointment with the GP and MW as soon as possible the rest is easy. The MW will write in your new book and then you take both books to the new hospital of choice for a second booking appointment (some trusts dont even need you in). Then the rest is easy peasy with your 2 books always in tow.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now