Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

16 weeks contractions?/rib pain

(10 Posts)
KayleeKay Sun 21-Apr-13 22:40:06

Hey Ladies

I'm 16weeks pregnant and the last few days I've been gettin really bad pain in my right side ribs. It comes and goes and feels like what (i think) a contraction would feel like but just in the wrong place.
It comes different times of the day lasts about 20 seconds but It stops me in my tracks and takes my breath away. It happens about 2-3 times a day and is quite painful.

I've tried google but had no luck.

Anyone have any ideas what this could be?

Thanks in advance x

bananananacoconuts Sun 21-Apr-13 22:45:19

Ooh you've just brought back some painful memories! I would call midwife tomorrow to let her know. It was nothing with me (although mine was more of an ache or broken rib feel) and i had it with my ds now 6 and dd now 4. Hope it stops soon!

CloudSurfer Sun 21-Apr-13 22:45:57

i had that with dd until about 25 weeks, I think it was just things rearranging and stretching. also got it low down, just above my hip later on.

KayleeKay Sun 21-Apr-13 22:57:02

Thanks for replying.

So you don't think it's anything serious then? I have my 16 week appointment on Wednesday shall I wait till then or call tomorrow?

Sorry I'm clueless this is baby number one me so have no Idea about most things.

x

rachywhite83 Sun 21-Apr-13 23:05:50

I have a pain in my side when I do too much. its my warning sign to tell me to stop.

bananananacoconuts Sun 21-Apr-13 23:11:32

I don't think it's serious but i'm a born worrier so i'd call tomorrow for my own peace of mind.

KayleeKay Sun 21-Apr-13 23:21:16

That's a good point Rachy I've started back at my waitress job a this week it's a lot of walking heavy lifting and loooong hours.
I've not told them yet trying to hold off as I don't know how they will react and really need the money as boyfriend has just lost his job and been shipped off to rehab for 3months great timing. Maybe it's stressed related?

Ill call tomorrow to put my mind at ease.

Thanks everyone x

happyfirsttimemummy Sun 21-Apr-13 23:28:11

I had exactly the same thing. It will definitely be bacause of how active you are! I bartended whilst pregnant...eventually had to tell my employers about beig pregnant as the pain whilst sorting deliveries was unbearable! Tell your boss, they legally have to do a risk assessment, and can't descriminate against you or they would be in big trouble. Try sitting down for 5 mins when you feel the pain coming on slightly. I had this for the whole of my pregnancy, NOT FUN, but you get to earn the signs of it approaching and can nip it in the bud with a bit of rest and a drink of water! Hope you feel better soon. X

Petcat Mon 22-Apr-13 09:57:36

I have had rib pain since the 2nd trimester too. GP and midwife have both told me it's due to my ribcage flaring out to make room for baby. This can cause inflammation of the tissue between the ribs. I'm not very tall so the only way baby will fit is by pushing all my organs up into my chest cavity. Unsurprisingly, this hurts! The fact you're so active is probably also straining these ligaments. Your body is full of relaxin, meaning you're much more prone to injury from lifting and carrying things.

Before pregnancy I wore 34 back bra, I'm now in a 40 due to my ribs widening. I also get crampy pains at the top of my bump, have been told this is round ligament pain. It's amazing how much our bodies need to stretch to accomodate a baby.

It's definitely worth mentioning to your midwife just in case. Hopefully your pain will ease up soon. I use hot water bottles and ice packs and sleep with a flat pillow under my ribs to take the edge off.

KayleeKay Mon 22-Apr-13 10:40:40

Thanks everyone x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now