Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Antenatal classes

(11 Posts)
BabyHMummy Sun 21-Apr-13 21:42:58

So am a fort time and no one has mentioned themto me yet...i know Nct do them but i genuinely can't afford them. do nhs offer them and if so at what point do i get told about them?

RuckAndRoll Mon 22-Apr-13 10:59:37

You need to ask your midwife. Mine mentioned them at the booking in appointment and are about 32-36 weeks.

Every area will be different though so ask and see.

We're not bothering with NCT either. We could find the money if needed, but we can't really afford it and they seem hit and miss.

BabyHMummy Mon 22-Apr-13 11:14:02

Cheers ruck will ask at my next app in 2 weeks. Is it me or is there a distinct lack of information and communication?! As a first timer who never expected to be doing this i kind of expected more support...not exactly hand holding but i did expect more information etc

RuckAndRoll Mon 22-Apr-13 11:57:08

It totally depends on your area unfortunately. Are you after specifics like classes, the way your hospital does things, or more pregnancy info?

This one is quite good for general pregnancy info. Is NHS Scotland written.

BabyHMummy Mon 22-Apr-13 12:15:46

Classes mostly as have no idea what to expect from the birth (other than a baby obviously) and no idea what i will be expected to do etc.

But to be honest i feel completely in the dark about the whole pregnancy thing as my mw is pretty rubbish and the hospital has just been a battle

cyclecamper Mon 22-Apr-13 12:19:38

I had to phone and book my NHS classes. The number was one (I think the community MW one) on the front of my notes.

BabyHMummy Mon 22-Apr-13 14:21:29

Hmm i only have the number for the Dr surgery and the hospital in my notes...gott ring them tomorrow to try and speak to mw so will ask...am prob just panicking am 23 weeks and they allay should start them 8-10 weeks before due date but that nhs ones get booked up fast so and have had absolutely zero info about anything

IJustWoreMyTrenchcoat Mon 22-Apr-13 20:48:19

My Midwife just mentioned them today (24 weeks). She gave me details for classes in my town and the next town running on different nights. Apparently we don't have to book and can just turn up, and can also cop and change between the classes if we can't make one. I had assumed we would need to book, and an imagine that would be the case in most places.

I don't know whether to go though, Midwife said they are useful for first timers, but I am going to a Hypnobirthing course which apparently covers a lot of info. I am naturally quite anxious so don't want to worry myself unnecessarily.

BabyHMummy Mon 22-Apr-13 20:57:42

Thanks trenchcoat that's reassuring. I suffer with severe anxiety so am prob worrying like hell about nothing. Just feel like no one actually tells you anything!

Rang the surgery today and they have finally agreed to get the mw to call me tomorrow about the pelvic pain so gonna ask her about them and my matb1 form

Lorelei353 Tue 23-Apr-13 11:29:37

I asked about the antenatal classes in one of my early MW appts and was told I'd be given info at my 28 week appointment - which I was. Basically it consisted of being told where to turn up on the first three Wednesdays of any month as they don't need to be booked.

BabyHMummy Tue 23-Apr-13 11:36:36

Bugger forgot to ask about classes. Will wait for 25 week appt and then ask...note to self wrote down all questions cos baby brain has taken over

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now