Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Sleeping on back?

(7 Posts)
IcingTheCake Sun 21-Apr-13 15:17:10

Im 27+1 and im SO struggling to sleep not being allowed to lay on my back, its not that i always sleep on my back its just normally i fall asleep on my back and roll over onto my side in the night, or vice versa, does anyone else struggle or is it just me?

Lydia161290 Sun 21-Apr-13 15:37:08

I'm 26 + 2 and finding my sleeping becoming progressively uncomfortable. I haven't had a problem sleeping on my sides before, but with the extra weight of the baby, I find my hips becoming numb/hurt if I lie on them for too long. Last night I rolled over onto my back and lay there for about 5 minutes feeling like I was in heaven it was that nice, I almost fell asleep until I remembered that I shouldn't be lying on my back and turned back to my sides which resulted in a further half hour tossing and turning.
You're not the only one. I'm thinking about purchasing a maternity pillow from ebay!

cuppateaandagingersnap Sun 21-Apr-13 15:49:06

I'm 36 + 4 and regularly wake up on my back despite trying to wedge myself on my side with every type of maternity pillow you can get, I've kind of given up now to be honest and just lie in whatever position I'm comfy in for a while - never too long in any one position now!

IcingTheCake Sun 21-Apr-13 17:05:09

Glad its not just me but sorry that you guys are struggling too sad i was wondering i was laying sort of propped up on pillows on my back does it mean i can sleep on my back?

lurcherlover Sun 21-Apr-13 17:16:25

You're fine to sleep on your back. The study that suggested it might compromise blood flow was done on women who were already in hospital with pregnancy problems - not representative of healthy women. If you sleep on your back and your body isn't happy, one of two things will happen - either you will naturally shift on to your side in your sleep, or you will wake up. Honestly, it's fine. There is evidence to say that sleeping on your left side in the final stages of pregnancy helps the baby get into optimal position for labour, but other positions will do this too - spending a few mins on all fours during the day for example. Relax and get the most sleep you can before the baby comes!

MrsMangoBiscuit Sun 21-Apr-13 17:19:47

I figure, as long as I'm not sleeping on my front, it's fine. grin I have a bad back, had SPD last time (waiting for it to kick in again), and if I sleep on my side my hip gets cramp. If I'm comfy on my back, I'll sleep on my back, it's got to be better than not sleeping.

IcingTheCake Sun 21-Apr-13 21:15:32

Seriously? Goodnight Ladies Im going to enjoy a full nights rest grin xxx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now