Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Sharp pain in bump 21 weeks. What is it??

(12 Posts)
Gingerbreadpixie Sun 21-Apr-13 12:02:13

on Thursday evening as I was getting off the train from work I got a very sudden, very sharp pain at the top of my bump (above belly button) which seemed to pass straight down to the bottom of my bump. It lasted less than half a minute I reckon. And then it went and didn't come back for the rest of that day. Then last night (Saturday) I got it again while I was sitting up in bed. Only this time it lasted a good 10 minutes on and off! My bump didn't go hard but I thought it felt tighter at the top. I stood up and it settled. Sat down again, it started again and then I struggled to stand up as it felt too tight and sharp. I shouted to DH to get my phone so I could call midwife/hospital and then it just went away again!

Does it sound like Braxton Hicks? they don't usually get described as painful so I'm not sure.

I should mention baby has been moving around more and in the past week I've had high up kicks for the first time, above the belly button. Could it just be stretching or maybe he's pushing on a nerve?

Gingerbreadpixie Sun 21-Apr-13 13:53:05

Anyone?

It doesn't sound like braxton hicks, but is possibly ligaments pulling and stretching (I think it is called round ligament pain). I got them a lot around the side and bottom of my bump. Certainly worth mentioning to the mw at your next visit or if it happens more/for longer call her for advice.

LilRedWG Sun 21-Apr-13 13:57:24

I think it is worth you calling the midwife to put your mind at rest if nothing else. Take care.

Gingerbreadpixie Sun 21-Apr-13 14:58:57

I tried calling MW but no joy. Why do these things always happen on a weekend?

Lydia161290 Sun 21-Apr-13 15:44:46

I really wouldn't be worrying, I got similar sharp pains like this too, it's just stretching! I got it around my belly button.

Gingerbreadpixie Sun 21-Apr-13 15:57:26

I'm trying not to worry. And I haven't had any problems today so far. It was just quite unnerving last night.

I did read that bing dehydrated can cause crampy pains and my water intake has dropped a bit in the past few days so am drinking plenty today

LilRedWG Tue 23-Apr-13 20:44:54

How are you now OP?

LittleMilla Tue 23-Apr-13 21:12:52

I has this in first pg. turns out it was my stomach muscles splitting (and then never going back properly!).

SourSweets Tue 23-Apr-13 22:03:02

No, LittleMilla! Really? They never went back? I'm getting this too, just like a stabbing pain to the left of my belly button. I went to triage last night (I had fallen that morning and was worried hey were connected) and they examined me thoroughly but found nothing wrong, so it probably is just a muscular/ligament thing for you too. Are they still happening, did you get through to your midwife? Hope all is well.

LittleMilla Wed 24-Apr-13 06:28:24

Sour - I am joking slightly.

You have to be very careful post pg with sit ups and generally using your tummy muscles as it takes a while for them to 'knit' back properly. Mine never quite got back but weren't obvious.

Have vowed to get properly fit after this pg in an attempt to stave off a mum tum. We'll see!

MummyJetsetter Wed 24-Apr-13 10:12:28

I'd say it's probably muscular or ligament pain. Doesn't sound like contractions. Guess you just have to hold on and get through it when it happens! x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now