Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Hypnobirthing

(13 Posts)
WeeS Sun 21-Apr-13 11:13:57

Can anyone recommend a good book/cd combo on hypnobirthing? I'm 29+2 with my first & starting to feel anxious about The Big Day hmm

Cavort Sun 21-Apr-13 11:50:47

I am 30+4 with my first and have just ordered this CD from Amazon. It recommends using from 32 weeks so I haven't tried it yet but it seems to have very good reviews.

megarobotdiscoparty Sun 21-Apr-13 16:16:06

I've been using the Mongan book and cd (did a tutored course at 30 weeks too but you can use the techniques without) Even if I don't use a single bit of it during labour it has been phenomenal for keeping my stress levels down at work and getting me to sleep at night!

yogafan Sun 21-Apr-13 16:33:20

I'd recommend the mongan book and cd too - I listened to the music on repeat during my labour and it kept me calm, focused and 'in the zone' - was even smiling towards the end, crazy as that sounds. Good luck, and enjoy!

meepsmum Sun 21-Apr-13 16:38:04

the mongan book! good luck

HPsauceonbaconbuttiesmmm Sun 21-Apr-13 16:42:10

I used the natal hypnotherapy cd cavort linked to for dc1. Managed at home to 7cm, DS born within 3 hours of getting to hospital. Felt very in control the whole time. Used tens, paracetamol and gas and air. Still hurt but I felt safe.

Using again this time. I think the important learning from either natal hypno or hypno birthing is breathing control, believing you can do this, and being able to focus away from the pain to remain in control. Using pain relief to any level is fine, this is complimentary.

Fwiw I did the course too, which is good if you can afford it but I didn't learn much more. The trick is to really throw yourself into giving it a good try when listening to the cd.

mumoftwoboysS Sun 21-Apr-13 21:23:11

I used the natal hypnotherapy CD for both pregnancies www.natalhypnotherapy.co.uk (sat on the bed and closed my eyes most nights listening to it) found it so relaxing and calming and I think it definitely made me feel calm and not scared of labour when it finally happened. Didn't really use it in labour (was too quiet first time so couldn't really hear it) second time baby came too quickly! This time I am keen to do it again and properly during labour and was thinking of doing the HypnoBirthing course but it's quite expensive. May just do the CD again.

WeeS Mon 22-Apr-13 22:26:54

Thanks everyone smile I'll check them out! Tens machine might be a plan too!
In an ideal world I'll just pop this baby out in a bubble of relaxation, with a bit of gas & air,.... but being majorly squeamish & a total baby when it comes to pain I think it'll take a lot more effort than crossing my fingers grin

yogafan Tue 23-Apr-13 06:44:27

Yes, tens machine sounds good, and I recommend having some clary sage (essential oil) on a flannel to sniff. I know it sounds crazy but I think it really helped me. It was good having something to focus on, to help me get in the zone early on, something that really connected with with my breath (inhaling the flannel than exhaling - quite noisily - the pain) and got me quite far into my labour. When I went on to gas and air it was amazing, and that lasted until pushing, where the midwives told me to stop on the gas and air as my pushes weren't as good (too high to concentrate!) I would have gone on to epidural if labour had lasted longer or got more complicated. I really feel hypnobirthing helped me be chilled about what was happening, just concentrating on what I could do (breathe and cope) rather than worrying about the stuff I couldn't control Hope that helps...

GeordieCherry Tue 23-Apr-13 06:55:54

I'm doing a course ATM & finding it helpful
I'm 36 weeks
Probably wont use all of it when the time comes but I like the feeling of being in control & connected with my body
Didn't want to miss out on something that might help & found the money!
Good luck smile

WeeS Tue 23-Apr-13 22:11:05

Yogafan that really helps, thanks smile I haven't heard of using clary sage but will definately look into it!
Geordie, I'm thinking the same way & don't want to be in the middle of labour & regretting not giving hypnobirthing a try.
This weekend I was up at the hospital I'm due to give birth in - nasty infection hmm but luckily not admitted overnight, Whew! But it was a good chance to have a nosey & I feel a bit more at ease having had some lovely nurses explain where I'll be going to give birth etc etc smile

GeordieCherry Mon 29-Apr-13 17:00:42

Can you do a proper tour of the hospital?
We're planning a home birth, but have checked out the midwife led unit & the hospital delivery suite as well

ButteryJam Mon 29-Apr-13 21:28:16

I'm also using the Mongan CD and book. Will re-read the book closer to the time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now