Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Just out of hospital for hypermesis and feeling fed up.

(5 Posts)
everythinghippie29 Sun 21-Apr-13 11:04:44

I'm currently 6 weeks and just spent 2 days in hospital with severe dehydration and sickness.

Everything I seem to read says it will likely come back again and I've had several very 'helpful' people tell me about how their sickness lasted all through pregnancy.

I'm doing everything recommended to avoid it but am now in constant fear that my anti emetics will stop working and I will go back to feeling like I did, which I can honestly say is the worst I have ever felt. I feel this anxiety is making my nausea worse and its turning into a vicious cycle.

I can't seem to muster any enthusiasm for my pregnancy anymore which makes me feel horribly guilty.

I feel bad on my partner as I am useless and can't do anything for myself. Its so early on I can't imagine another 7 months like this!

Anyone else been through this and how did you get that mummy to be excitement to take over the overwhelming fear?

isisisis Sun 21-Apr-13 11:37:47

Morning Everything,

You're me 18weeks ago! Was admitted at 11weeks (stupidly forced myself to continue far to long before getting help) with hyperemesis. Was then found to have loads of other complications, but I won't bore you with that.
Firstly - I found it much easier once people knew. Don't know how 'public' your pregnancy is yet but as soon as friends/colleagues/family knew they all did everything they could to help.

Secondly -ACCEPT THAT HELP! Again, not something that came easily to me but your job for now is to stay hydrated. That is your one and only job. Housework/job/social life can all wait. Your job is to get fluid in.

Thirdly - There are loads of different safe antiemetics. Try something, if its not working adequately or your having side effects move to something else. Different things work for different people. Find a good GP who will support you.

Fourthly - find something you can eat. In the first weeks I lived on ribena. Now I can't stand it and am on flavoured water. Ice lollys are good when you can't face anything else.

You will get through this. I felt/feel jealous of people with 'normal' pregnancy for ages, but you can't change anything. We had added complications and only, finally, got good news that pregnancy is viable at 22weeks. Am now 24weeks and starting to believe it will actually happen! In fact hubby's upstairs painting the nursery at the moment!

Your only choice is to get on with it one day at a time. It will get better or at its worst you will learn to cope and battle through.

Have a good look at the hyperemesis support thread - they're all far more knowledgeable than me and will give you lots of info/support.

Xxx

racheld33 Sun 21-Apr-13 14:03:07

Hi everything, just wanted to give you my story to try to cheer you up.
With my first pregnancy 3 years ago, had awful HG from week 6, non stop vomiting and gagging, at 7 weeks admitted to hospital, came out on medication which really helped.
I was still sick a few times a week, and felt nauseous a lot, but it was bearable, and stopped meds at 24 weeks when it went completely.
So sometimes the meds do work, and you can carry on!
This second pregnancy I went on meds at 4 weeks in preparation, and been sick/nauseous but no way as bad as last time.
Hope you're ok smile

everythinghippie29 Sun 21-Apr-13 14:43:39

Awww, thank you both for the kind messages and useful advice. I've trawled through mumsnet and a few threads have cheered me up. The funny hormonal outburst mostly!

I'm actually feeling better than I did this morning so hopefully the anti sickness will continue to work grin

Glad both of you ladies felt better by the end of your pregnancies. Fingers crossed I'll be on the mend soon.

Thanks again! xxx

SuffolkNWhat Sun 21-Apr-13 15:27:13

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now