Advanced search

Stressed out - classified high risk for Down's Syndrome (Trisomy 21)

(7 Posts)
newmama88 Fri 19-Apr-13 18:40:11

Hi All

Not sure if any one can relate to this but i thought i'd give it a shot.

I am 12 weeks pregnant and went for my dating and nuchal scan today (Friday). Unfortunately I have been classified with a risk of 1:55 for having a baby with Down's Syndrome. I am now going for a CVS scan next Monday sad

Just wondering if anyone has had experiences like this before and if so whether I should be really stressed out or not? Not sure how to really feel especially after seeing the baby kicking and bouncing around in my belly.

The results from the ultrasound were fine. Nasal bone present and the following additional stats were provided:

Crown Rump Length 61.4mm
Nuchal Transparency 1.6mm

The blood results were the one that pushed the down's risk to the higher risk category:

hCG: 75.380 (equivalent to 1.9403 MoM)
PAPP-A: 0.72 (equivalent to 0.2341 MoM)

Thoughts or experiences anyone can share? I am anxious to find out what's going on as I was really hoping after today, being 12 weeks pregnant, I could start sharing the news with other people...

lily06 Fri 19-Apr-13 18:47:43

Hi newmama88,

Sorry to hear you're going through such a worrying time. Its difficult because a risk factor is just that - and without the cvs or other tests you cannot possibly know any more. It will feel like an eternity until Monday but be kind to yourself and try to find nice things to distract yourself with.

If you haven't already, have a look in the Antenatal test/choices section. There are lots of helpful threads and support for both before and after your CVS. I went through exactly this with a 1:20 risk a couple of years ago and the people on the threads in that section were very kind and supportive.

Wishing you all the best.

WentOnABearHunt Fri 19-Apr-13 18:49:56

i don't have any experience but just try to focus on the fact the you have a 54 in 55 chance of it being fine. Sending you a virtual hug, it must be very difficult not knowing and waiting. Hope your okay xx

Would you continue with the pregnancy? share your news anyway if you would. smile

newmama88 Fri 19-Apr-13 18:58:33

Thanks Lily06 and WentOnABearHunt

Definitely feeling anxious and stressed out but I guess there is nothing I can do until Monday. Even then I have been advised that it would take approx. 2 days to hear the news. Yikes.. it is going to be a loooongg week..

In terms of whether I would continue with the pregnancy.. I am not quite sure yet but I am sort of leaning towards a no.

It is really hard thinking about it.. to think that the fate of this tiny baby in my belly rests with my husband and I.. sigh..

newmama88 Fri 19-Apr-13 18:59:22

Oh and thanks for the tip re: Antenatal test / choices section Lily06 xx

CareerGirl01 Fri 19-Apr-13 19:07:16

Came up high risk because of raised HcG levels and my age (42) after 12 week bloods. We opted for a CVS at UCH fetal medicine unit. Within 2 nail biting days we had heard that our DC2 (to be) was fine. I can understand how stressed you must be; we agreed we would not terminate if DS showed up but there were other genetic problems - Patau's and Edwards - which if present would have made us consider. It was good for DH and I to have that conversation. Best of luck x

newmama88 Sun 28-Apr-13 03:22:11

Hey guys!!!

Received my preliminary result and i have been given the all clear for DS! Yey!

Feeling my better. Cant say I enjoyed the CVS procedure but am glad with the outcome..

Thanks for all your kind words and support!


Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now