Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.
Induction, or not?(7 Posts)
I am 40 + 1 today and saw our consultant yesterday. Everything was all good and normal, baby wriggling quite happily on the scan and heartbeat all good. I was offered a sweep, but declined.
Now, I am more than happy to let nature take it's course, and when it's ready it will come. However, the consultant told us today that if you are over 38 years old (I am 39) they like to induce you at 40 + 7 as there has been research to show that there is a higher risk of complications in older mums going over 41 weeks. This is all news to me and to be honest I am totally confused.
One of the things we decided a while ago was that we definitely did not want an induction. Don't get me wrong, if there was a sound medical reason, or baby was at risk or in distress, then of course we would be induced, but right now I don't want to. My main reason for not wanting to be induced is that I did not find out I was pregnant until I was approximately 21 weeks. (A long story, that is for another thread!) So at this late stage, dating the pregnancy accurately has been hit and miss and all a bit 'best guess'. I'm just worried that I could be being induced at what everyone thinks is 41 weeks, when in fact I might only be 37 or 38 weeks. I also really wanted to be as mobile as possible during labour and am not looking forward to being wired and dripped up whilst being stuck on a bed. Bad news.
So, I explained all this to the consultant who said that ultimately it is our choice and if we don't want to be induced we can decline. However, If I don't go into natural labour before next Thursday and am still not wanting to be induced I will have to visit the hospital everyday to be monitored to ensure baby is OK and placenta isn't deteriorating. I'm totally fine with this and as I said earlier, if a medical reason indicates induction is best for baby, we will do it. But baby is happy and healthy, I am happy and healthy and I just don't want to put a load of drugs into me that may not even work! Cue one very disapproving look from the consultant!
So, I feel like I've been put in a position where I am taking risks and making the wrong choice for our baby if I don't have an induction. I now feel stressed about something I didn't feel stressed about before, and I am totally confused and don't know what to do.
Does anyone have any advice, please?
I've had 3 inductions (and 1 'normal' labour)--like you I really, really didn't want one with my first baby and held off as long as I could. (My situation was a bit different; my waters had gone and they wanted to induce after 48 hours when labour didn't progress). Going in for monitoring every day is not too burdensome if you're not too far from the hospital, but I would suggest trying the sweep. It's not much fun, but my understanding of it is that it won't start anything off if you're not ready to go into labour and it might improve your chance of starting labour on your own. At my local hospital they also apply a gel to your cervix before they administer the drip and wait to see if that kicks things off. However once you have had the gel, if labour doesn't start within a certain time period you do then have to progress to the drip.
As someone who was very resistant to induction I would like to reassure you that in my case it went fine (three times!); the drip and the monitor do impede you from moving around very much, but I was able to do things like use a birth ball and adopt a kneeling position, etc.
Do ask about the pessary/gel instead of the drip? My waters went at 38+5 and I was induced with a pessary and a sweep because my labour never really got going. I was monitored for about 1/2 hour to check it hadn't upset baby and then got on with it! It wasn't the most pleasant of experiences but it wasn't horrendous by any means.
I have had one induction and I will never get induced again. I had a really bad experience and not one that would happen to most people being induced, but the sudden contractions made my baby's heart basically stop and I was rushed off for an emergency c section. Obviously this isn't common, but an unnatural start to labour can really stress the baby....
I was either havi g a c section at 39 weeks (for non pregnant medical condition) or induction at term. Had decided not to have section due to recovery with a 3 and 6 year old needing to be up and about for school/prescho runs etc. then ds2 turned breech then back again.
The consultant then talked about induction at term (induced for both dc for going overdue) j til she realised she had misread my date of birth. I am 40 in may she though I was already 40 and point blank refused induction at term. I was a blubbering mess (relief at ds2 not bei v breech and then shock of yet another change and hormonal abc pregnant!) but nothing would change her mind.
Still waiting and no doubt induction number three a week tomorrow
I'd say waiting and being monitored sounds like the ideal option for you. It's what I'd do in your situation especially given what you've mentioned about the uncertainty about the actual dating of the pregnancy.
About induction, it's different for everyone but I was induced with DS1 at 38+1 due to medical complication and it wasn't that bad at all. I only needed one gel & have my waters broken and the rest was all down to my body. I don't remember if I was strapped to a machine the whole time (I don't think I was) and in any case the midwife was encouraging me to get up and walk around (which I couldn't because I was so floored by the pain of the contractions - I ended up being in active labour for only 2 hours and then DS was born, so it was intense).
Thank you, everyone, for you advice.
After all that worrying, induction wasn't needed.
I am pleased to announce that our little girl was born on April 22nd without any intervention, except having to be cut during the final contraction / push!
We have called her Georgie and she weighed in at 8lb 13ozs. She is perfect and doing so well.
Sorry it's taken so long to get back on here, but I had a rough time after the birth and was in hospital for 5 days. Feeling near to normal now though and enjoying catching up and spending time and cuddles with Georgie
Join the discussion
Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.Register now
Already registered with Mumsnet? Log in to leave your comment or alternatively, sign in with Facebook or Google.
Please login first.