Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

When to have a membrane sweep?

(5 Posts)
glossyflower Thu 18-Apr-13 16:21:56

I'm due on Monday and my midwife has booked me in for a membrane sweep on Tuesday morning.
I certainly don't mind as I would like the baby sooner rather than later but I thought they usually left you about 10 days before doing anything?

glossyflower Thu 18-Apr-13 16:22:17

...and does having a sweep hurt?!

mybelovedmonster Thu 18-Apr-13 16:27:57

Our surgery waits until you're about 41 weeks. Certainly no need to have one the day after your due date,but if you're happy to go ahead then go for it.

My understanding is that if the cervix isnt ready the MW won't be able to do the sweep though.

cleverbit Thu 18-Apr-13 16:28:58

I had several with dd1 and although I don't remember exactly when the first one was it was def before I was 10 days overdue. My midwife is only available one day a week so the timing of appointments is largely based on that. I found the actual sweep to be quite uncomfortable although not unbearable and had some mild cramping afterwards each time. I'm 36 weeks with dd2 now and have been trying to decide if I'll give the sweeps a go this time around. Hopefully she will be on time and I won't need one.

LadyMedea Thu 18-Apr-13 16:51:52

Just remember you don't have to have one. The evidence is that they ony bring labour for one in every nine women.... You can just wait.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now