Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Breast reduction and Breast Feeding

(4 Posts)
gloti Thu 18-Apr-13 15:50:16

Hi all

I was wondering if any of you have had a breast reduction and whether this affected your ability to breast feed?

I was a 32H 2 years ago and decided I needed a BR for both cosmetic and health reasons. At the time I asked the surgeon if I would be able to breastfeed should I get pregnant in the future and he said that it is literally a 50-50 chance.

I knew the risks and made the decision to go for it (thank God!) but I didn't realise the pressure there is to breastfeed between pregnant women and I am now feeling bad that I could be denying my child the best care...

My questions is, have you had a breast reduction and did it make you not be able to breastfeed?

If you couldn't breastfeed, when did you notice? i.e. does the milk simply 'not come' or you still have milk but it is not good enough?

Sorry for the long post and thanks in advance.

RigglinJigglin Thu 18-Apr-13 20:30:22

gloti I'm the same, had a reduction - this is our first baby, as I had a reduction very young I wasn't aware of the impacts for when we had children!

So far the signs are positive I can feed from one side smile purely due to the type of reconstruction I had.

So for me if I can mixed feed I will be very very pleased!

Lots of helpful tips on www.bfar.org and I've recently picked up the book too.

HTH x

midori1999 Thu 18-Apr-13 23:12:53

Rigglin, I'm not sure if you already know, but it's possible to exclusively breastfeed from one side only ordinarily if you wanted to.

OP, it's really a case of waiting and seeing. Most women who have had a reduction in fairly recent years can at least partially breastfeed. You could try contacting La Leche League for advice and support?

I haven't had a reduction but have had other breast surgery and can only feed from one side due to damage on the other side. I'm pregnant again and hoping I can (well, assuming I can!) tandem feed once this baby is born.

gloti Fri 19-Apr-13 19:24:16

cool thanks to you both for the advice smile I feel like I did the right thing at the time but now started thinking maybe I shouldn't have done!
thanks again and fingers crossed for us all xxx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now