Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Holiday at 24 weeks.

(14 Posts)
DreamingOfTheMaldives Thu 18-Apr-13 15:49:38

I was just wondering what other pregnant ladies thoughts are on going abroad on holiday at 24 weeks.

My DH and I had been contemplating a UK holiday but we tend to do lots of walking on UK holidays, along coastal paths etc and I don't think I will be up to it - I find my legs are aching and I get back ache if I walk too much (and that only has to be an hour or so round town shopping). We would usually take the dog with us so it really prevents us from doing many other activities in the UK as they are not dog friendly. Don't want to end up sat about in the UK (probably inside) when the weather may not be great so we had been thinking of a cheap holiday abroad - I'm happy to sit around and read a book as long as the weather is nice so would in all honesty probably just sit by a pool. Haven't had a sun holiday for 3.5 years so could really do with one.

The holiday would be in 3 weeks and we would be flying out when I am 24w 1d. Warmest places in early May would seem to be Greece, Turkey or Canaries so flight time of around 4.5. Return flight time (for a holiday I fancy) is far from ideal, landing back in UK at 3am.

What do you think about a) flying at 24 weeks (return at 25), b) being abroad at 24 weeks pg c) a very late flight home which will leave me absolutely knackered as I tend to be fast asleep by 10.30pm at home (or I am may sleep on the flight if I can get comfy which means I won't be mobile for 4.5 hours.

What do you think ladies?

Beatrixpotty Thu 18-Apr-13 15:52:32

I've done 2 Canaries holidays when 26 & 27 weeks pregnant and it was great.I would go.I wouldn't think twice about the late flight home,if the holiday has been relaxing it won't matter

Bejeena Thu 18-Apr-13 15:55:51

a) flying at 24 weeks (return at 25),

I think this will be fine and will also be flying at 24 weeks and again at 30 weeks

b) being abroad at 24 weeks pg

The places you mention are all places with top rate standard health care so as long as you have insurance or money to pay for any treatment you might need (although I very much doubt anything will be necessary if your pregnancy is healthy) I would not let this bother me.

c) a very late flight home which will leave me absolutely knackered

Yes but that is travelling for you. Anything else could leave you absolutely knackered such as a bad nights sleep or whatever.

If I needed a holiday I would not be giving any of your things a second thought and just booking.

soupmaker Thu 18-Apr-13 16:00:44

Hello. I've just had a week in Barcelona at 24 weeks. Flew from Glasgow so flight wasn't as long as you are thinking off. I think this is a good time to go if you are feeling well. I've done holidays twice at this stage and had a lovely time, was more relaxing first time as it was just me and DH who went to Crete and we went 5 star with transfers in an air-conditioned Merc.

My advice would be avoid flights that are very early or very late and make sure you fly with a carrier which has plenty leg room. I had a horrid flight on the way to Crete in a cramped plane with lots of grumpy assholes who didn't seem to care that I was pregnant at 6am in the morning. Not exactly a great start.

Once you get to where ever you are going just relax and do what you feel up to.

harleyd Thu 18-Apr-13 19:40:58

i'll be 27 weeks when i fly to the canaries at the end of may

get it booked and enjoy your holiday!

LouiseD29 Thu 18-Apr-13 19:45:01

I'm going on holiday on Saturday and will be 24 weeks. Am also going to US for work at 26 weeks and again at 28 weeks. That's my lot though! My dr has just done me a 'fit to fly' certificate to cover all of them.

As long as you're otherwise fit and well this sounds totally fine. Definitely try for an upgrade though!

DreamingOfTheMaldives Fri 19-Apr-13 09:20:36

Thanks for your replies. A week in the sun really would do me the world of good and I've found somewhere I want to go and I know my DH woud like (Lindos, Rhodes). Having read your replies, it seems I don't need to worry about flying and it's actually a lot earlier than some of you fly so was obviously just being anxious PFB

It's just a pity that the only flight I can find on that date gets back to the UK at 3am! To be honest, most of the warmer destinations such as Greece, Turkey and Canaries seem to have bad night flights on the date we can go so I guess I will just have to suck it up if I want a week lazing in the sun oh God, I so want a week lazing in the sun!

Right, just need to convince myself that it isn't frivolous to blow this money and I wouldn't be better to leave it in the savings account.

PseudoBadger Fri 19-Apr-13 09:25:48

We've booked a holiday for when I'll be 30 weeks - it's in the uk but to an island that's only accessible for 4 hours a day due to the tide. I'm not certain it's the best idea....

HazleNutt Fri 19-Apr-13 09:51:11

It will be fine. Get proper health insurance though.

Emmaw9 Fri 19-Apr-13 11:50:30

I went to Greece at 28-30 weeks! Best thing I did was soooo relaxing. Glad too as he came at 37 weeks!
Enjoy!

soupmaker Fri 19-Apr-13 17:27:58

Get it booked. You will not regret it. Get an E1 11 organised if you haven't got one already. It'll be bliss and just arrange a few more days off on your return to recover from the flight home.

Excited85 Fri 19-Apr-13 17:30:03

Defo do it!!! And btw Lindos is beautiful... I'd go back there like a shot :-)

mrsmindcontrol Fri 19-Apr-13 18:07:21

I went to the Maldives (11hr flight + seaplane transfer) at 24 weeks no bother at all. Was asked to show evidence of my EDDon flight on way home as was MASSIVE. But suffered no ill effects whatsoever. Have to say I find the question re: a late night flight strange? You'll be a bit tired, yeah, but nowhere near the level that you'll be feeling come 38/39/40 weeks wink
My big tip though: BUY TRAVEL INSURANCE. Contrary to popular rumours, travel insurance does cover you for any abnormal complication of pregnancy.

honey86 Fri 19-Apr-13 18:34:56

im going to majorca for a week at 30 weeks, coming back 31 weeks. ive been told i can go as long as im fit to fly with an uncomplicated pregnancy, and need a doctors note to say so too. oh god im so looking forward to it smilesmilesmile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: