Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

shingles!!! really??

(7 Posts)
rosiedays Thu 18-Apr-13 13:24:24

hi all,
please stop me from googling!!! I saw my GP this morning (new GP first appointment) just to get some gavisgon really and showed her a rash that i have on my lower bump, i thought it was just another lovely pregnancy present, but she thinks it's shingles!!! she hasn't prescribed anything, sent me for a blood test next week.
I thought shingles was very painful and made you quite ill. I've had a return of morning sickness the last couple of days and been tired but nothing that i would put outside 'being 26 weeks pregnant'
do i need to worry?

MrsJLS85 Thu 18-Apr-13 14:04:19

Don't know if this helps at all, but I had a rash on my tummy around the 24-26 week mark, and when I went to the GP she diagnosed it as polymorphic eruption of pregnancy (PEP). Google that and see if any of the images are similar to what you have? If it is, what cleared it up for me was a mild steroid cream and about a weeks worth of anti-histamine. But my rash was very itchy, had spread all over my bump and upper thighs. So not sure if thats what you're experiencing

Hopefully you don't have shingles!

ilovepowerhoop Thu 18-Apr-13 14:16:01

What are the risks of shingles during pregnancy? - looks like shingles in pregnancy can be mild and no danger to the baby.

rosiedays Thu 18-Apr-13 14:17:11

OMG.... how i wish i hadn't googled that and looked at images!!!! NO thankfully mine looks nothing like that... more like a couple of little patches of ecxema. Bless you mrsJLS hope your's has cleared up, looks really painful.

rosiedays Thu 18-Apr-13 14:19:54

thanks ilovepowerhoop would much rather it was shingles than PEP having looked at the pic's!!!

babyradio Thu 18-Apr-13 15:07:22

Don't worry too much, I got shingles about three weeks ago, it's just about gone now. I didn't get much rash just the pain which was mostly down my left side and nobody was overly concerned because no harm can come to the baby, it's just uncomfortable.

Queenofknickers Thu 18-Apr-13 16:24:18

I had shingles (rash on lower bump) with DS1 and didn't feel poorly and it had no ill effect on him at all - on the upside when chicken pox went round he only got it really mildly and GP said it was probably his exposure to my shingles that gave him some immunity!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now