Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Just for fun

(19 Posts)
DanniiH Thu 18-Apr-13 08:34:02

Thought it would be nice to hear people's opinions on finding out gender at the 20 week scan. Will you find out (if you can)? x

stacey212528 Thu 18-Apr-13 09:07:28

My hospital don't tell you the gender at the 20 week scan so I paid for a private scan at 19 weeks to find out. Always been my nature to want to know things straight away.

DanniiH Thu 18-Apr-13 09:20:04

Don't blame you! I love surprises, I get disappointed if I know what presents are at Christmas and birthdays but when it comes to babies I like to be organised! I'm 15 weeks now and desperate to go clothes shopping for the baby! Don't really like gender neutral clothes! x

FrustratedSycamoresRocks Thu 18-Apr-13 09:55:17

I found out. I have 2 dds, so desperately wanted to know if I should keep their clothes, or if I could go shopping.
some sonographers don't like sexing them, and some do. Luckily I had one that did.
Dd1 was neutrally clothed as I didnt quite believe what I was told. Dd2 had pink pink and more pink from the start. grin
Saying that I quite like the white newborn clothes.

RJM17 Thu 18-Apr-13 10:02:23

Yes I will be finding out! I can't wait to go shopping for clothes and don't like the gender neutral ones x

DanniiH Thu 18-Apr-13 10:02:40

Yeah I don't mind a few white bits but babies rarely look like a boy or girl and I know in the case of my ds he's quite pretty and had a lot of hair so had to make him look boyish! It's funny when strangers say the wrong sex when they look at your baby, it never bothered me but it's quite embarrassing for them! x

TheFalconsmistress Thu 18-Apr-13 10:06:36

I am going for a private scan on Sat when i will be 17 weeks, I am really excited smile

DanniiH Thu 18-Apr-13 10:07:59

Ooh lucky you! You can find out early! x

whiterose2011 Thu 18-Apr-13 10:12:11

I'm torn...I always thought I wouldn't want to know but having had a previous mc, I thought it might help me bond with the baby.

Silly I know, but if I can focus on my baby boy/girl, I think it may calm some of my anxieties. I might be completely wrong and would be keen to hear if this helped others who had mc's? Xx

FrustratedSycamoresRocks Thu 18-Apr-13 10:13:48

danni it's funny sometimes, even when they are in pink/blue I remember dd2 in a pink snowsuit in a bright pink buggy, and an old dear coming up and saying "oh isn't he lovely, what's his name?" grin
Strangely nobody called her a boy when I put her in a blue coat. despite having no hair for the 1st year

SeriousStuff Thu 18-Apr-13 10:15:12

Was always adamant I wouldn't want to know, but the impatient me, now pg, wants to know...desperately! However, I have given the decision to my DH and he doesn't want to find out (according to him it will be an anti-climax...so the fact we're yet to still meet our baby isn't enough excitement for him!)

I don't mind though, having that decision taken away was the best thing to do for me.

Sat here 37 weeks pg with mystery dc #3, I didn't find out with either of my other DS's. I can't explain why I just feel that I don't want to know until I give birth. I love all the little white baby grows and blankets and speculation about it. I will know soon enough.

TheFalconsmistress Thu 18-Apr-13 10:19:10

whiterose I have had a few m/c since i had my first so this is one of the reasons i think it will be good it will make it more real as i am still in limbo atm xx

mildred37 Thu 18-Apr-13 10:31:13

We didn't find out at the 20w scan. However, was referred for a growth scan at 31wks, and found out its a blue one smile we haven't told anyone though! It's quite nice having this secret between DH and I, and it's helped us both bond and finally choose a name lol!

fanjodisfunction Thu 18-Apr-13 10:51:54

I don't want to know, I've had a stillborn daughter and two miscarriages and for me I'd rather not know. I think if I knew I was having a girl then it would put added pressure on the pg and if I new it was a boy I might feel disappointed. Its mixed emotions for me. (Sorry to put a downer on a light hearted thread)

MummyJetsetter Thu 18-Apr-13 11:31:05

That happened to me too frustrated! When we moved in to our house my ds was 18 months and he was playing with the garden gate, a neighbour said oh be careful your little girl's going to hurt herself! He had a few long curls yes but his clothes were definitely boys! Very odd! And yes blue blankets in the pram and the little old lady says how old is she!

Must be very scary having had a mc but I would imagine the bond to be even stronger as you must appreciate a baby in a completely different way and feel more grateful for it. That's what I imagine but hope to never find that out for myself! x

TeWiSavesTheDay Thu 18-Apr-13 11:42:43

Yes, I like to know.

Mostly because we're so bad at choosing names, only having to think of one makes life easier!

Beamae Thu 18-Apr-13 11:43:22

My 20 week scan is 2 weeks away and while we were discussing maybe not finding out, now we have decided we are definitely going to. We found out with our twins, but that was for practical reasons, choosing two sets of names etc. This time it's just one baby (phew!) and we did consider not finding out, just to compare the two experiences. But speaking to others about why they chose not to find out, the reasons were all similar, about making the birth special and having something to look forward to. That seems a bit bizarre to me! And I also hate all the calling the baby "it" rather than he or she. I want to know who is in me and the birth will be special because we know who is coming and will finally get to see them!

PinkApple86 Thu 18-Apr-13 11:52:21

I have my 20 week scan in 2 weeks too and we are going to find out. it will be a surprise if we find out now, or at the birth so we thought may as well know now for preparation purposes. also I think it will help us bond with the baby as at the moment I keep calling it he, even though my feeling is its a she. so confused! also it will help us choose a name. this is our first dc so absolutely bursting with excitement and knowing the sex will make it feel more real.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now