Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Cellular blankets etc

(9 Posts)
Littlemissexpecting Wed 17-Apr-13 21:18:35

I've read that you should use cellular blankets for baby to sleep to reduce risk of SIDS.
I have been given (new) a couple of gro bag sleeping bags and a gro swaddle wrap. These are not cellular so how are these ok or should i not use them? Sorry if this is a stupid question. Dc1 due in June and my brain is going crazy with loads of questions!!

Thurlow Wed 17-Apr-13 21:24:50

grin They're fine to use. Well, the swaddle certainly is, we used one from birth. At hospital they swaddled in cellular blankets. I don't know at what age you can start using grobags as we swaddled for months, but I assume it's right from birth?

The cellular bit refers to actual blankets, as they are cooler than fleecy blankets. I've never put DD under a blanket though, as she only slept when swaddled, so hopefully someone who used blankets will come along and tell you how to tuck in a tiny baby.

Oh, and there are no stupid questions!

AnythingNotEverything Wed 17-Apr-13 21:31:22

With my ds we used a blanket like you'd expect to. Baby will decide if he/she wants their arms in or out. Mine slept with his hands up by his ears and wouldn't be swaddled!

Just remember feet to foot, and that a folded blanket counts as two blankets!

KatAndKit Wed 17-Apr-13 23:14:26

They are fine to use. If you use blankets they should be cellular. This is a precaution in case baby gets blanket on face. The holes mean that air still circulates so your baby can breathe. Gro bags are fastened onto the baby securely with poppers and zips so there is no danger of the baby getting its head underneath the bedding.

shellshock7 Wed 17-Apr-13 23:28:05

The bags we used were from 10lb tho so watch for thatsmile

KatAndKit Wed 17-Apr-13 23:29:38

Yes that is true, even the 0-6 months grobags aren't suitable for prem/low birthweight babies

elQuintoConyo Wed 17-Apr-13 23:33:53

I've only heard about cellular blankets on MN (I'm abroad). DS screamed blue murder when swaddled but was very happy in a grobag, he was very wiggly and those didn't fall off/ride down/cover his face.

Littlemissexpecting Thu 18-Apr-13 06:04:41

Thank everyone. That makes complete sense now as of course the swaddle wrap or bag doesn't cover face. So much to learn!! Thanks again.

NoTeaForMe Thu 18-Apr-13 07:05:50

The brand gro-bags 0-6 month sleeping bag can be used from 8.8lb so it's worth checking what type you have and when it can be used from. They are so much easier than faffing with blankets!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now