Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Home births with dogs around

(13 Posts)
mamabrownbear Wed 17-Apr-13 19:10:58

Hello, been humming and hawing recently about birthing at home. We live close to the hospital so original plan was to stay at home as long as possible then head to hospital to get into birthing pool for lovely relaxed birth (ha ha). To be honest, going to and being in hospital is my least favourite thought about childbirth. Also, there is only one pool so if its in use I wouldn't get to use it at all and that would upset me before I even get started! So thinking about hiring a pool and doing it all at home, benefit being that we are still very close to hospital should anything go wrong.
However we do have a dog and I just wondered how hygienic this all is? Has anyone else had a home birth when there is a dog in the home? Obviously I wouldn't want dog in the room or pool but is it worth being concerned about?? Oh the thoughts that go through pregnant heads...

Frenelder Wed 17-Apr-13 20:59:45

Hi, I'm going through this same thought process right now. I really want a home birth but am still convincing my DH that its the right thing we also live close to our hospital. We have a dog & don't know what to do with him during labour. Sorry no advice but hoping to share you question & hope somebody can share their experience.

Frenelder Wed 17-Apr-13 21:01:35

Also to add....do you have any home birth groups nearby? Maybe you could ask there...we have an NHS home birth group so will go to that nearer to the time...only 7+4 so long way off for us yet..

BabyHMummy Wed 17-Apr-13 21:13:31

My best mate had home birth with her ds2 & had the biggest Damn husky ever!! He was kept in a cage at night so they put him in there when she went into labour. Mind her labour was only two hours from start to finish hence the home birth! The mw joked if the farted she would love birth!

If you have a separate room for dog that could be an option or maybe a friendly neighbour or local family member?

5madthings Wed 17-Apr-13 21:17:36

My friend had a home birth for her third, she has loads of pets including a dog, rats, guinea pigs, rabbits and even a snake! I never asked her what she did with the dog but I don't think it was an issue.

sadsong Wed 17-Apr-13 21:24:22

I've had 2 home births. The first time I had 3dc watching and 2 cats in the house somewhere! The house was pretty pristine as the cleaning hormone kicked in on the run up! I expect a dog would probably make itself pretty scarce. Pets usually have a sick sense about these things. I don't remember the home birth questionnaire even to ask me the question about pets.

To be honest I always was of the opinion my house had my germs and therefore would be safer than some hospitals. I once gave birth in a bed in hospital that had old blood underneath it. This was 10 years ago... But even still!

Goodkingwalkingslass Wed 17-Apr-13 21:31:57

I'm thinking of a home birth for dc2 but hadn't considered our dog. Not sure I'd want her trying to drink the pool water!

FannyBazaar Wed 17-Apr-13 21:36:41

Dogs are fine, biggest problem is if you have MWs who don't like dogs so having another room or putting them outside would be a good idea if they are likely to object to visitors or be too welcoming.

orangeone Thu 18-Apr-13 00:28:53

Our Jack Russell went upstairs whilst I was in labour. He oooped down to use his dog door to wee outside once or twice but otherwise wasn't that bothered. He came down after the labour, sniffed the placenta as if to say ah that's what was going on and then promptly sat down beside me whilst I BF DD....... I think if I'd had a bigger dog or if one of the midwifes objected I would have just put him in another room but luckily he was fine!
Good luck with your homebirth.

orangeone Thu 18-Apr-13 00:29:21

*popped not ooped!!

mamabrownbear Thu 18-Apr-13 08:26:14

Thanks so much very reassuring. Going to discuss it with the MW tomorrow and is if we can go ahead. I'm thinking in some ways it would be better for the dog to be giving birth at home so she knows something is going on rather than being left with my mum then coming back to find a strange baby in her home! Hopefully we can go ahead. I keep imagining turning up at hospital and someone already being in the birthing pool, that would upset me so not a great birth plan really. Cleaning hormones haven't kicked in yet but I'm starting a deep clean next week anyway...thanks all smile

learnermummy Thu 18-Apr-13 16:30:56

My westie just took herself off to another room during my home waterbirth. She wasn't that interested. Good luck!

quertas Thu 18-Apr-13 19:51:20

no advice but with you on this. I have a golden retriever and to be honest if the pool's full there is no way he's not going to try to get in there. Have nightmare vision of 5 stone's worth of 'blonde n' stupid' dog bombing the birthpool at a crucial moment grin. But I think dogs mostly know to keep the heck of out of the way of a alpha bitch pupping, and I am the alpha bitch in this house (and possibly this postcode, but that's a whole other thing grin)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now