Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

First timer silly question - ankle swelling

(5 Posts)
RuckAndRoll Wed 17-Apr-13 16:34:21

This may sound a really silly question, but when does swelling in the legs/ankles become worth worrying about?

I was reading a baby book last night and it seems to say in the same sentence that swelling is normal, put your feet up, drink lots etc, and that swelling can be a sign of pre-eclampsia and to phone midwife if it happens.

I'm confused!

crikeybadger Wed 17-Apr-13 16:45:28

Try this It explains what swelling is normal and when to call the GP.

janey1234 Wed 17-Apr-13 17:13:05

I was admitted to a&e on Friday night due to swelling - but think I was only admitted because I'd been violently sick, and under consultant care for high blood pressure. It was the combination of these factors that lead to me being admitted - I think swelling alone is OK.

In terms of how bad the swelling is, I think they take it more seriously if when you press with a finger on the swelling, a dent remains in the flesh. This didn't happen to me on Friday which they said in hospital was reassuring.

Hope all is OK.

RuckAndRoll Wed 17-Apr-13 17:21:49

Thanks crikey, so swelling is ok, swelling coupled with anything else, not so.

janey hope you're ok. I've not got swelling to be worried about at the moment (only 23 weeks), normally pretty horrible by the time I get in from work but settles down when I put my feet up and chill. I was just confused by what seemed to be a contradiction in advice.

Guntie Wed 17-Apr-13 17:35:02

My trotters are horribly swollen at the moment. I was at the doctor yesterday and she checked my blood pressure and made sure I didn't have protein in my urine and said there was no problem. I think you have to worry if it very sudden and includes hands/face/neck and is present with other symptoms.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now